Dr. Mouhamed Abdulla
Faculty of Applied Science & Technology
Teaching & Research Interests
Scholarship, Research & Creative Activities
Mouhamed Abdulla is a Professor of Electrical Engineering in the School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering Technology, Faculty of Applied Science and Technology.
Mouhamed earned his BEng (with distinction) in Electrical Engineering in 2003 and continued to pursue his Master’s in Aerospace Engineering and his PhD in Electrical Engineering all at Concordia University in Montréal, Québec.
Mouhamed has been an EU Marie-Skłodowska Curie Individual Fellow (MSCA-IF) affiliated with the Electrical Engineering Department of Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, Sweden since 2015. While in Europe, he was involved with a variety of funded projects including EU-H2020-HIGHTS and EU-H2020-is3DMIMO, with research supported by Ericsson Research Foundation. In 2017, Mouhamed was a visiting Research Fellow at the Department of Electronic Engineering of Tsinghua University in Beijing, China, followed by short visits to BUPT, Harbin Institute of Technology, Huawei Hong Kong and Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.
From 2003 until almost 2010, following his receipt of his Bachelor’s degree, Mouhamed worked at IBM Canada Ltd. as a Senior Technical Specialist. From there he pursued an NSERC Postdoctoral Research Fellow with the Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of Québec in Montréal.
Mouhamed holds several awards from international organizations, government, academia, and industry. He is on the Editorial Board of various journal publications, and serves as a Technical Program Committee (TPC) member of flagship international conferences. Mouhamed is a referee for several Canadian and European Granting Agencies and is a member of the IEEE Connected, Automated and Intelligent Vehicles Working Group (IEEE P2040 Standard) and the IEEE for Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality (IEEE P2048 Standard VRAR). Mouhamed was an IEEE Executive Committee member of the Montréal Section as the Secretary in 2013 and Treasurer in 2014-2015.
Mouhamed’s biography is listed in Marquis ‘Who's Who in the World’ publication. To find out more regarding his professional qualifications please visit www.DrMoe.org
- Visiting Research Fellow (2017, Tsinghua Univ., P.R. China)
- EU Marie-Curie Fellowship (2017, Chalmers Univ. of Tech., Sweden)
- NSERC PostDoc (2015, ETS, Univ. of Quebec, QC, Canada)
- Ph.D. Degree (2012, Concordia Univ., QC, Canada)
- M.Eng. Degree (2006, Concorda Univ., QC, Canada)
- B.Eng. Degree (2003, Concordia Univ., QC, Canada)
Invited Seminars, Panels and Visits
- North America: Sheridan, Sheridan Creates, Concordia Univ., McGill Univ., École Polytechnique, Univ. of Montréal, ÉTS, Univ. of Québec, UQAM, EMICA, Univ. of Ottawa, Carleton Univ., McMaster Univ., Univ. of Toronto, Ryerson Univ., Dalhousie Univ., MUN.
- Europe: Chalmers Univ. of Tech., International Science Festival of Gothenburg, KTH Royal Institute of Tech., Halmstad Univ., Univ. of Pisa.
- Asia: Tsinghua Univ., BUPT, Harbin Institute of Tech., Westlake Univ., Huawei Hong Kong, Nanyang Tech. Univ.
- Middle East: Univ. of Dubai, Univ. of Sharjah.
- M. Abdulla, M. Troop, and A. Majeed, "Framework for an Integrated Learning Block with CDIO-led Engineering Education," In Proc. of the 16th International CDIO Conference (CDIO'20), pp. 150-159, hosted on-line by Chalmers Univ. of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden, Jun. 8-10, 2020. ISBN Digital: 978-91-88041-28-9
- M. Abdulla, Z. Motamedi, and A. Majeed, "Redesigning Telecommunication Engineering Courses with CDIO geared for Polytechnic Education," In Proc. of the 10th Conference on Canadian Engineering Education Association (CEEA'19), pp. 1-5, Univ. of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Jun. 9-12, 2019. DOI: 10.24908/PCEEA.VI0.13855
- M. Abdulla and Y. R. Shayan, "On the Peculiarities of Design: An Engineering Perspective," In Proc. of the 4th Conference on Canadian Engineering Education Association (CEEA'13), pp. 1-5, Univ. of Montréal, École Polytechnique, Montréal, Québec, Canada, Jun. 17-20, 2013. DOI: 10.24908/PCEEA.V0I0.4823
- M. Abdulla and Y. R. Shayan, "Can Research be Taught?," In Proc. of the 6th Conference on Canadian Design Engineering Network and the Canadian Congress on Engineering Education (CDEN/C2E2'09), pp. 288-292, McMaster Univ., Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, Jul. 27-29, 2009. DOI: 10.24908/PCEEA.V0I0.3706
- Y. R. Shayan and M. Abdulla, "Design Based Teaching for Science and Engineering Students," In Proc. of the 5th Conference on Canadian Design Engineering Network (CDEN'08), pp. 1-4, Dalhousie Univ., Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, Jul. 27-29, 2008. DOI: 10.24908/PCEEA.V0I0.3741
- M. Abdulla and H. Wymeersch, "Fine-Grained vs. Average Reliability for V2V Communications around Intersections," In Proc. of IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM'17), pp. 1-5, Singapore, Dec. 4-8, 2017. DOI: 10.1109/GLOCOMW.2017.8269131
- M. Abdulla and K. Wu, "5G Connected Vehicles: the Missing Link to Highly Autonomous Vehicles," Routes et transports Magazine, l'Association québécoise des transports (AQTr), vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 122-127, Oct. 2017. ISSN Print: 0319-3780
- M. Abdulla and H. Wymeersch, "Fine-Grained Reliability for V2V Communications around Suburban and Urban Intersections," arXiv:1706.10011, pp. 1-27, Jul. 2017.
- M. Abdulla, E. Steinmetz, and H. Wymeersch, "Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communications with Urban Intersection Path Loss Models," In Proc. of IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM'16), pp. 1-6, Washington DC, USA, Dec. 4-8, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/GLOCOMW.2016.7849078
- M. Abdulla and Y. R. Shayan, “Large-Scale Fading Behavior for a Multi-Cellular Network with Uniform Spatial Distribution,” Wiley's Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Journal, vol. 16, no.7, pp. 748-764, May. 2016. DOI: 10.1002/WCM.2565
- M. Abdulla, “Simple Subroutine for Inhomogeneous Deployment,” In Proc. of the 6th IEEE Global Information Infrastructure and Networking Symposium (GIIS'14), pp. 1-3, Montréal, Québec, Canada, Sep. 15-18, 2014. DOI: 10.1109/GIIS.2014.6934284
- M. Abdulla, “On the Fundamentals of Stochastic Spatial Modeling and Analysis of Wireless Networks and its Impact to Channel Losses,” Ph.D. Dissertation, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Concordia Univ., Montréal, Québec, Canada, Sep. 2012. ID: 974847
- M. Abdulla and Y. R. Shayan, “Analytical Coexistence Benchmark for Assessing the Utmost Interference Tolerated by IEEE 802.20,” Journal of Information Processing Systems, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 43–52, Mar. 2011. DOI: 10.3745/JIPS.2011.7.1.043
- M. Abdulla and Y. R. Shayan, “Closed-Form Path-Loss Predictor for Gaussianly Distributed Nodes,” In Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC'10), pp. 1-6, Cape Town, South Africa, May 23-27, 2010. DOI: 10.1109/ICC.2010.5502200
- M. Abdulla and Y. R. Shayan, “An Exact Path-Loss Density Model for Mobiles in a Cellular System,” In Proc. of the 7th ACM International Symposium on Mobility Management and Wireless Access (MobiWac'09), held in conjunction with MSWiM'09, pp. 118-122, Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain, Oct. 26-30, 2009. DOI: 10.1145/1641776.1641797
- M. Abdulla, Y. R. Shayan and J. H. Baek, "Revisiting Circular-Based Random Node Simulation,” In Proc. of the 9th IEEE International Symposium on Communication and Information Technology (ISCIT'09), pp. 731-732, Incheon, South Korea, Sep. 28-30, 2009. DOI: 10.1109/ISCIT.2009.5341148
- M. Abdulla and Y. R. Shayan, “Cellular-Based Statistical Model for Mobile Dispersion,” In Proc. of the 14th IEEE International Workshop on Computer-Aided Modeling, Analysis and Design of Communication Links and Networks (CAMAD'09), pp. 1-5, Pisa, Tuscany, Italy, Jun. 12, 2009. DOI: 10.1109/CAMAD.2009.5161465
- M. Abdulla and Y. R. Shayan, "Harnessing Simultaneously the Benefits of UWB and MBWA: A Practical Scenario," In Proc. of the 22nd IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE'09), pp. 508-513, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, May 3-6, 2009. DOI: 10.1109/CCECE.2009.5090185
- M. Abdulla, J. V. Svoboda, and L. Rodrigues, "Avionics Made Simple," Dept. of Mechanical, Industrial and Aerospace Engineering, Concordia Univ., Montréal, Québec, Canada, Dec. 2005, pp. 173. ISBN: 978-0-88947-908-1 (course pack)
Magazines and Newsletters:
- C. Florea, G. C. van der Kamp-Alons, A. Weinar, M. Abdulla, R. van der Meel and M. E. Wokke, "How to Write a Successful Marie Skłodowska Curie Action (MSCA) Proposal: A Guide by the Marie Curie Alumni Association (MCAA), North America Chapter," EURAXESS North America Newsletter, European Commission, no. 4, pp. 7-9, Dec. 2018.
- M. Abdulla, A. Benyamin-Seeyar and F. Labeau, “Global Communications Newsletter: A Busy 2015 for IEEE ComSoc in Eastern Canada,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 1-4, Apr. 2016. DOI: 10.1109/MCOM.2016.7452257
- M. Abdulla, A. Benyamin-Seeyar and F. Labeau, “Global Communications Newsletter: DLT of Koichi Asatani to Montréal, Canada,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 1-4, Jul. 2015. DOI: 10.1109/MCOM.2015.7158258
- COMM-16165 - Technical Reports and Presentations
- MATH-15325D - Linear Algebra
- ENGI-12578 - Electrical Fundamentals & Electronics
- ENGI-28779 - Communication Systems
- TELE-28649 - Wireless Communication Systems
- ENGI-30123 - Wireless Communication Networks
- ENGI-TBD - Wireless IoT Communications
- ELEE-TBD - Communication Systems Engineering
- Pedagogical: Engineering Education, Engineering Design, Course Development, CDIO.
- Smart Cities: IoT, Wi-Fi, BLE, LoRa, LoRaWAN, LTE-M, NB-IoT.
- Transportation: ITS, CAV, C-V2X, DSRC, 802.11p, VANET.
- Emerging Tech.: 5G, B5G, 6G, eMTC, URLLC, eMBB, AI/ML.