Apprenticeship Exemption Test
Sheridan is a ministry-approved Apprenticeship Exemption Test centre, authorized through the Ministry of Advanced Education & Skills Development (MAESD), for both apprentices and non-apprentices.
The Apprenticeship Exemption Test (AET) provides a chance for students who are learning a skilled trade to bypass in-class studies if they score over 70%.
Who can write an AET?
- You must be at least 16 years old.
- Your trade must be listed as an AET-eligible trade, as outlined by the MAESD. For a full list of AET-eligible trades, please contact Alyssa Bellisario.
- Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP) participants are eligible to write.
- You are not required to be an apprentice to write the exemption test.
You must write the exemption tests in order (if applicable) and without any omissions. Most exemption tests take three hours to complete. Apprenticeship Exemption Tests can only be administered on Thursdays when the test centre is open from 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
You need to score 70% or higher to pass the AET. If you don’t pass initially, you’ll need to wait six months before re-writing the exemption test. Contact the ministry for more information.
After successfully completing an AET, you have two years to become a registered apprentice. You’re responsible for reporting your test results to the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development.
How to register
You must book your test at least 24 hours in advance. If you require special accommodation, please book your test at least 7 days in advance.
When you book your test, you’ll receive an automated confirmation email. We won’t send you a reminder email, though — you’re responsible for remembering your test appointment. If you miss your scheduled test, you may be eligible for a refund less the administrative fee.
To find out more about the Apprenticeship Exemption Test, contact Alyssa Bellisario. We offer ongoing Apprenticeship Exemption Test dates.
- Register today for one of our upcoming test dates.
- Prior to registering for the Apprenticeship Exemption Test, please confirm that your discipline offers an apprenticeship exemption test.
- All refund requests are subject to an administrative fee.
Apprenticeship Exemption Tests are $150 per test and must be paid by Debit. The fee for the AET is due before you write the exam. Please arrive early to make sure your fee is paid before the test.
Magna Skilled Trades Centre at Davis Campus, Sheridan College
Davis Assessment Centre, Room B117
7899 McLaughlin Road
Brampton, Ontario, L6Y 5H9
For Test Centre inquiries, please email email@example.com
Telephone: (905) 845-9430
For more information on employment, training and certification, visit Ontario College of Trades and Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development.