Apprenticeship Exemption Test
Sheridan is a ministry-approved Apprenticeship Exemption Test centre, authorized through the Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training & Skills Development (MLITSD), for both apprentices and non-apprentices.
The Apprenticeship Exemption Test (AET) provides a chance for students who are learning a skilled trade to bypass in-class studies if they score over 70%.
Who can write an AET?
- You must be at least 16 years old.
- Your trade must be listed as an AET-eligible trade, as outlined by the MLITSD. For a full list of AET-eligible trades, please contact Magna School for the Skilled Trades – firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP) participants are eligible to write.
- You are not required to be an apprentice to write the exemption test.
Exemption Tests are no longer done through the Test Centre. Apprenticeship Exemption tests are administered monthly at the Davis campus through the Magna School for the Skilled Trades, at 6:30pm for a duration of three hours for most tests.
You need to score 70% or higher to pass the AET. Failures result in a 3-month wait period to re-write. Contact the Ministry for more information.
After successfully completing an AET, you have two years to become a registered apprentice. You’re responsible for reporting your test results to the Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training & Skills Development (MLITSD).
How to register
You must book your test at least 24 hours in advance. If you require special accommodation, please book your test at least 7 days in advance.
When you book your test, you’ll receive an automated confirmation email. We do send a reminder email one week before the test date, once registration closes. This email includes parking details and the specific room location of the test.
To find out more about the Apprenticeship Exemption Test, contact email@example.com. We offer ongoing Apprenticeship Exemption Test dates.
- Register today for one of our upcoming test dates.
- Prior to registering for the Apprenticeship Exemption Test, please confirm that your discipline offers an apprenticeship exemption test.
- All refund requests are subject to an administrative fee.
Fees are now $160.15 ($150 + $10.15 Eventbrite fee) and are paid online via our Eventbrite website (Credit/debit card, PayPal accepted).
Magna School for the Skilled Trades Program Office
Davis Campus, Room A203
7899 McLaughlin Road
Brampton, Ontario, L6Y 5H9
For more information on employment, training and certification, visit Skilled Trades Ontario and Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training & Skills Development (MLITSD).