Foundation and General Programs
Take a first step without taking a leap
If you want to stay in school, or return to school, but you are not yet ready to make a long-term commitment to a career path, Foundation and General Arts & Science programs are one year certificates that allow you to take a start, experience college learning, and use that as a stepping stone toward further studies.
General Arts & Science (GAS) program
This program is designed to help students earn university-level credits in a supportive college environment. Develop confidence and build strong academic, communication and research skills, while adjusting to a post-secondary learning experience.
- General Arts & Science – University Profile - Students will enhance their social and cultural awareness with this multidisciplinary program, which provides introductory courses in a wide variety of disciplines. You’ll have the opportunity to define your academic, career and personal goals while building a strong foundation for a university degree. Graduates of Sheridan’s General Arts and Science diploma program can transfer to one of our partner universities and apply transfer credits towards their degree. This GAS Profile is also available as a one-year certificate.
These programs are a stepping stone to further deeper study in your field of interest. They introduce theory and practice to students who want to assess their talent, build a basic portfolio or skill set, and chart a course for further study.
- Art Fundamentals - A good first step toward animation, design, illustration, and many other programs in the visual arts. You'll get classical instruction in the fundamentals of arts such as: life drawing, painting, sculpture, two-dimensional drawing, and technical drawing.
- Media Fundamentals - Offers foundation curriculum in film, broadcasting, journalism and digital media. You’ll acquire basic skills and concepts in: web & computer technology, sound, camera, television & film production, media history, communications theory, and visual design
- Performing Arts Preparation - Students gain first-hand experience in a wide range of disciplines, developing core skills that can help them advance to a more specialized performing arts program. You'll have the opportunity to: Improve your performing, auditioning and technical production skills; learn to work collaboratively with other creative individuals; display your talents and discover your strengths; clarify educational and career objectives.
- Pre-Health Sciences - With a strong focus on academic advising to support student success, you’ll be introduced to a range of possible career paths in the health sciences field. Students who have completed this program can apply to transfer to Sheridan’s Athletic Therapy, Kinesiology, Practical Nursing, Pharmacy Technician, Veterinary Technician or Animal Care programs.
- Technology Fundamentals - ideal if you are interested in science and technology, but are uncertain specifically which area is a fit for your future academic and career goals. Through this program, you'll develop skills that equip you to enter into other college I.T., science and engineering technology, and skilled trades diploma or apprenticeship programs.