Updates on study permits and Provincial Attestation Letters (PALs) for international students

A hallway at Sheridan's Hazel McCallion Campus

Permits and Visas

IRCC updates to study permit process

On January 22, 2024, the Government of Canada announced a temporary two-year cap on international enrolment, which will decrease the number of approved study permits this coming academic year. This cap only applies to new study permit applications submitted after January 22, 2024.

The announcement also includes changes to the post-graduate work permit program (PGWPs). Students currently enrolled in a program at Sheridan will continue to be eligible for a post-graduate work permit.

More information and frequently asked questions: IRCC updates to study permit process

Sheridan’s Regulated International Student Immigration Advisers are here to help you with questions about studying and working in Canada. However, it is your responsibility to maintain valid immigration status and adhere to Canadian immigration regulations.

Remember to check all of your immigration documents (passport, study permit, work permit, temporary resident visa, etc.) for accuracy and be sure to extend required documents before their expiry date to maintain status in Canada.


Studying in Canada

    • If you intend to study in Canada for longer than 6 months, you must obtain a study permit at the postsecondary level.
    • A study permit is not required for foreign nationals in Canada on a visitor visa or work permit who wish to undertake general-interest courses of six months or less, not leading to a certificate, diploma or degree.
    • Continuing and Professional Studies programs are part-time/non-degree and do not qualify for a study permit.
    • You may need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in addition to your study permit depending on your country of citizenship.
    • If you are a high school student with a secondary study permit transitioning to postsecondary studies, you do not need to apply for a new study permit if your current study permit is still valid. 
    • If you are currently a postsecondary student transferring to another postsecondary institution, you do not need to obtain a new study permit as long as your original postsecondary study permit is still valid. Learn more about transferring to another Designated Learning Institution.

    Student Direct Stream (SDS)

    The Student Direct Stream (SDS) provides a streamlined study permit application process for students who will study at an eligible Canadian college or university. You can apply for SDS if you’re a legal resident in China, India, the Philippines, or Vietnam. If you live in a different country (even if you’re a citizen of one of the countries listed here), you have to apply through the regular study permit application process.

    • If your study permit will expire before you complete your program studies, you must apply for a study permit extension before the expiry date.
    • If your study permit (and Temporary Resident Visa, if applicable) will expire while you are travelling outside of Canada, you must first obtain a renewed study permit before your trip followed by a renewed TRV (if applicable).
    • You should submit a study permit extension application at least 3-4 months before the current study permit expires. IRCC processing times vary.
    • A study permit will not be extended beyond your passport’s expiry date. If your passport is expiring before you complete your program studies, you must first obtain your renewed passport, then apply for your study permit extension.
    • MAINTAINED: If you apply to extend your study permit under the same conditions and before the expiry date, you can legally continue to study in Canada until a decision is made on your application, due to maintained status.
  • If your study permit expires, and you did not apply to extend your study permit, you are considered out of status in Canada and may apply to restore your status within 90 days of expiry. Learn more about restoration of temporary residency status.

Working in Canada

  • A Social Insurance Number (SIN), issued by Service Canada, is required in order to work and get paid in Canada.

    Learn how to apply for a Social Insurance Number.

  • If you're a full-time student with a valid study permit, you may work on-campus, at the campus where you are registered (Davis Campus, Hazel McCallion Campus or Trafalgar Road Campus).

    Find up-to-date information about working on-campus from IRCC.

  • If you're a full-time student (excluding ESL/exchange) with a valid study permit, you may work off campus:

    • Up to 20 hours per week during academic sessions.
    • Full-time hours during scheduled school breaks.

    CAUTION: You must stop working on the day that you no longer meet the eligibility requirements for working off campus.

    For up-to-date information about working off-campus visit IRCC's website.

  • If your program includes a mandatory work-integrated learning component such as co-op, internship, placement or practicum (paid or unpaid), you will need to apply for a Co-op Work Permit. You should apply for the co-op work permit at least one semester before you are scheduled to begin the work-integrated learning component.

    • Sheridan will be listed as the employer.
    • The co-op work permit and study permit expiry dates will typically match.
    • The co-op work permit is required regardless of what is indicated on the Study Permit.
    • If you hold a co-op work permit from another DLI you must apply for a new co-op work permit.

    For up-to-date information about the coop work permit visit IRCC's website.

  • The post-graduation work permit (PGWP) allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian postsecondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

    A PGWP may be issued for the length of your program up to a maximum of three years. A post-graduation work permit is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The length of the post-graduation work permit will depend on the duration of the program you complete in Canada, with a minimum study program length of eight months required to be eligible.

    To obtain a post-graduation work permit after completing your program, you must meet the eligibility requirements.

    For up-to-date information about the post-graduation work permit visit IRCC's website.

    • For any questions about studying in Canada, visit IRCC FAQs
    • New students: For new study permit application process, status and inquiries, please contact IRCC directly or visit IRCC's website
    • Current students: If you are currently studying at Sheridan our Regulated International Student Immigration Advisers are here to support you with your immigration-related questions in Canada. You may access these supports and more by logging in to Sheridan Central with your Sheridan username and password.
  • Please refer to the post-graduation work permit (PGWP) information above and log in to Sheridan Central to register and attend an immigration session for graduating international students.

    For information about PGWP visit IRCC FAQs.

Students are solely responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with all Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada regulations at all times during their studies and while in Canada, including any medical or study and work permit-related requirements.

The information on this page does not constitute any legal advice and information may change without notice. Always refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for the most up-to-date information.

Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.