A hallway at Sheridan's Hazel McCallion Campus

Work Abroad

Would you like to work abroad?

Working abroad is an amazing opportunity that often requires extensive preparation. Depending on your program, you may have the option to complete your work-integrated learning outside of Canada.

  • If you're enrolled in a program that offers a field placement/experience or mandatory professional practice, please contact your field coordinator/field liaison to determine if it's possible for you to complete your placement/experience/practice outside of Canada. If it is, your field coordinator/field liaison will work with the International Office to help you meet the necessary travel requirements.
  • If you're enrolled in a program that offers a co-op or internship, follow the process described below.

Co-op/Internship process for working abroad

It's important to know that most co-op/internship work terms are student-generated/co-op assisted, which means you'll be responsible for finding leads and opportunities of interest, and your co-op adviser will be able to assist you with how to approach employers, tailoring your resume and preparing for interviews.

Step 1: Research going abroad

If you're interested in going abroad, please contact the coop adviser in your faculty to be enrolled in the “International Work-Term Virtual Community”. This will provide you with access to resources to help with your search, allow you to explore what going abroad would look like and get you started on the application process.

Step 2: Find a co-op position

You're required to research and find employers that you're interested in working with. You're encouraged to reach out and apply for positions on your own. However, if you need guidance on how to contact an employer, or assistance with your resume/cover letter, etc. the Co-op Advisers are available to help.

Step 3: Submit an application and receive co-op approval

Once you've applied and received an offer, you'll need to submit the International Work Term Application.

Step 4: Meet travel requirements

All students, even international students who are returning home, are required to meet Sheridan’s International Travel Risk Management for Student Mobility Policy and Procedure. This requires all students to meet with Sheridan staff to complete a pre-departure orientation, register in the Sheridan travel registry, sign a travel waiver, etc. All details pertaining to student travel, paperwork, visa, etc., will be overseen by Sheridan.

Step 5: Receive approval

Once you've met both the Co-op and International requirements, the International Work-Term Approval Committee will review all of the documentation and provide final approval for travel.

Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.