Sheridan Donors: Frequently Asked Questions
How many students are in need of financial assistance?
Year after year, students struggle to meet their tuition costs. Sheridan has 23,000 full-time students. Over 70% of them seek financial assistance. Government support provides for less than half of Sheridan’s funding needs for students and capital. Donations help Sheridan enhance and grow our programming as well as build the capital infrastructure needed to provide a premier education.
Can I direct my support to a specific program, award, scholarship or campus?
Absolutely. You can direct your donation where you would most like to help or we can apply your donation to our area of greatest need. If you would like to speak to someone about how your gift can make an impact, please email email@example.com or call 905-815-4206. But remember, every gift impacts students!
Are there any tax benefits for my donation?
Sheridan College will issue a tax receipt where allowable for all gifts of $20 or more. For gifts made through multiple payments, a year-end tax receipt will be issued.
How can I make a gift?
You can make a gift to Sheridan using our online donation form, by sending a cheque (payable to Sheridan College) to Sheridan College, Advancement Department, 1430 Trafalgar Road, Oakville ON L6H 2L1, or by calling 905-815-4206 with your credit card information.
What are my rights as a donor?
Listed below is a Donor Bill of Rights established to ensure the protection of our donors.
- To be informed of Sheridan’s mission, of the way Sheridan intends to use donated resources, and of our capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on Sheridan’s governing board and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgement in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to Sheridan's most recent financial statements.
- To be assured your gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about your donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law. Sheridan does not sell or trade personal donor information.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of Sheridan or hired solicitors.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
The text of this statement in its entirety was developed by the American Association of Fund-Raising Counsel (AAFRC), Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP), Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), and the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), and adopted in November 1993.