Volunteering in the Community during COVID-19
Before volunteering, it's a good idea to review Volunteer Canada’s “Volunteer Checklist – Volunteering During COVID-19” to make sure you're fit and prepared to volunteer, and also to assess whether you're working with an organization that's following proper public health protocols in enlisting volunteers in their service.
Here are several volunteer coordinators in our local communities that are continuing to support the non-profit sector during COVID-19 with organizing volunteer support:
Volunteer MBC – COVID-19 Community Responder
Volunteer MBC coordinates, screens, provides training and deploys volunteers across the communities of Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon.
During COVID-19, community needs continue to evolve rapidly, and community service organizations have expressed an urgent need to fill the following specific roles:
- Telephone “check-ins” with reassurance (and concern for, and enquiry about, health and personal safety).
- Pickup/delivery of vital medications for seniors and others who cannot leave their residences.
- Pickup/delivery of groceries and meals for those who cannot travel or otherwise provide food for themselves.
- Social media messaging* to keep communities and neighbourhoods connected (including volunteers) and properly, adequately informed. (*Available to secondary school students 16+)
- Information Technology/Systems volunteers, assisting community service organization to adapt to a virtual office environment and the public to use virtual/online resources.
- Virtual office administration for a community service organization.
- Project management volunteer to develop, support and deliver COVID-19 plans.
- Community “block” (neighbourhood) connector.
If you're interested in supporting any of these roles, please visit the Volunteer MBC website for more information and complete the volunteer application form. Note that you must be 18+ years old, except for the one role noted above for which you can be 16 years old.
Volunteer Halton supports non-profit agencies with training, a volunteer online matching program, consulting and the promotion of volunteerism in the Halton Region.
There continue to be volunteer needs in Halton during COVID-19. If you're interested, please check the Volunteer Halton website for opportunities.