Sheridan offers full-time, intensive English as a Second Language (ESL) classes for students who want to improve their English skills for personal, professional or academic reasons.
The highest level, English for Academic Purposes (EAP) can provide students with a conditional acceptance into a diploma, degree or post-graduate certificate at Sheridan.
5 levels of instruction
- Foundation: Module A (7 weeks; 25 hours/week) and Module B (7 weeks; 25 hours/week)
- Pre-Intermediate: Module A (7 weeks; 25 hours/week) and Module B (7 weeks; 25 hours/week)
- Intermediate: Module A (7 weeks; 25 hours/week) and Module B (7 weeks; 25 hours/week)
- Advanced: Module A (7 weeks; 25 hours/week) and Module B (7 weeks; 25 hours/week)
- English for Academic Purposes (EAP): (14 weeks continuous; 22 hours/week)
Students are placed in an appropriate level of ESL based on their level of English proficiency. Students can choose to either submit a valid test score (see chart below), or write an iTEP Snapshot placement test upon receiving information from Sheridan Admissions.
Registration in the intended level and preferred campus are given out on a first come, first serve basis to students who have paid fees, finalized the level placement, and submitted required study permit documents. Students may be subject to campus or intake transfers due to seat availability.
This chart is effective Winter 2023
|Level||IELTS Academic||TOEFL iBT / TOEFL iBT Home Edition||iTEP Academic||Duolingo English Test|
|Foundation||1.5–2.5 (lowest skill at 1.5)||<32 (no score below 6)||1.0-1.4 (no score lower than 1.0)||10–25 (lowest skill at 10)|
|Pre-intermediate||3.0–3.5 (lowest skill at 3.0)||32 (no score below 8)||1.5–1.9 (no score lower than 1.5)||30–50 (lowest skill at 30)|
|Intermediate||4.0–4.5 (lowest skill at 4.0)||34 (no score below 12)||2.0–2.9 (no score lower than 2.0)||55–70 (lowest skill at 55)|
|Advanced||5.0 (lowest skill at 5.0)||45 (no score below 14)||3.0–3.4 (no score lower than 3.0)||75–80 (lowest skill at 75)|
|EAP||5.5–6.0 (lowest skill at 5.5)||59 (no score below 18)||3.5–3.6 (no score lower than 3.5)||85–100 (lowest skill at 85)|
- Students are placed in an ESL level according to their lowest individual skills score either in their IELTS Academic or TOEFL scores. For example, if a student has an IELTS Academic 5.0 for Speaking and Listening, an IELTS Academic 4.5 for Reading and an IELTS Academic 4.0 for Writing, the student will be placed in the Intermediate level.
- Tests are valid for two years from the test date to the start of the class.
- TOEFL iBT Home Edition and iTEP Academic are accepted up to the Spring/Summer 2023 semester only, until further notice.
- Language Lab
- Listening and Speaking
- Reading and Writing
- Business Communication
- Computer Applications
Refer to the ESL program page under the section “For International Students." The fees displayed are for each 7-week session.
The Fee Estimate enclosed in your Letter of Acceptance will include the fee and payment details for the intake you will be attending.
EAP level is a 14-week continuous session. Tuition fees are equal to two 7-week sessions.
EAP level is only offered in January, May and September.
Our ESL program is offered at our Trafalgar Road Campus in Oakville and our Hazel McCallion Campus in Mississauga.
Upon successful completion of all the courses in the English for Academic Purposes program (including a General Education course), students will receive a General Arts and Science Ontario College Certificate. Successful graduates can apply to other programs at Sheridan with no further testing required if their overall GPA is 70% (for certificate and diploma programs) and 75% (for all other programs).