News articles, publications and conference/event presentations
In the news
- Tarek El Salti receives certificate in recognition and appreciation for contribution to Sheridan Creates 2022 with Presentation: Novel, Low-Cost COVID-19 Point of Care Monitoring and Triaging Device (Sheridan Creates 2022 Organizing Committee) – November, 2022
- Sheridan’s research teams driving innovative health technologies with key partners in industry and community (Sheridan | Newsroom) – April 5, 2022
- Rogers backs Sheridan College autonomous vehicle research (Inside Logistics) – March 15, 2022
- Rogers partners with Sheridan College on 5G research (IT World Canada) – March 15, 2022
- Rogers and Sheridan College partner on innovative 5G autonomous vehicle research (Financial Post) – March 14, 2022
- Rogers and Sheridan College partner on innovative 5G autonomous vehicle research (Sheridan | Newsroom) – March 14, 2022
- Dr. Ed Sykes, NSERC Synergies Award for Innovation recipient (NSERC) – November 17, 2021
- Student’s co-op experience at Telus sparks continued research (ThinkFAST) – November 9, 2021
- Sheridan People Awards – Dr. Tarek El Salti Nominated for the SRCA (Scholarship, Research and Creative Activities) Award (Sheridan People Awards) – September, 2021
- 2021 Sheridan Spirit Day -- Sheridan’s Centre for Mobile Innovation (Sheridan College | YouTube) – September, 2021
- Mobile Computing Degree Propels Recent Grad to New Heights (Sheridan | Newsroom) – May 4, 2020
- Sheridan awarded three COVID-19 research grants (Oakville News) – June 22, 2020
- Show and Tell: Visual and Verbal Analysis Advancing Fall Detection in Seniors (The Globe and Mail) – November 28, 2019
- Sheridan Team Designs NewPneu, a Cost-Effective System for Diagnosing Childhood Pneumonia in Low-Resource Settings (Benzinga) – November 25, 2019
- Constructing a clinic of the future (Sheridan | Newsroom) – July 31, 2019
- Digital medicine on display at SingularityU Canada summit (Global News) – April 23, 2019
- Sykes, E. R., Pham, H., Stoica, M., & Stacey, D. (2013). A Privacy-Enabled Mobile Computing Model Using Intelligent Cloud-Based Services SmartData. New York: Springer Science+Business Media.
Journal papers (peer-reviewed)
- Moll, B., Sykes, E. R., (2022). Optimized virtual reality-based Method of Loci memorization techniques through increased immersion and effective memory palace designs: a feasibility study, Journal of Virtual Reality, Springer Nature.
- El Salti, T., Shaw, N., Cheung, C-C., and Sykes, E. R., (2022) New and Reliable Points Shifting - Based Algorithm for Indoor Location Services, Journal of Ubiquitous Systems and Pervasive Networks (JUSPN), Vol. 17, Issue 2, pp 51 – 58. DOI: 10.5383/JUSPN.17.02.001
- Stephanie Villers & Jan Oberholzer (2022) Skills nomenclature: what to expect from college versus university bachelor’s degrees, Journal of Education and Work, DOI: 10.1080/13639080.2022.2036711.
- Sykes, E. R., Jain, R., Canales, A., Wang, W.B., Weldon, J., Shanker, R., Voytenko, V., Sullivan, J., & Sauer, D. (2021). Towards Better Insights: Preliminary Results of a Machine Learning Model for Fracture Risk Assessment, Journal of Geriatric Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation (Impact Factor 1.345), SAGE Publishing [Available on SAGE Journals online]
- Shaw, N., El Salti, T., Cheung, C-C., and Sykes, E. R., (2021). A New Set of Wi-Fi Dynamic Line-Based Localization Algorithms for Indoor Environment. Procedia Computer Science, Vol 191, pp 76-84. [Full paper available on ScienceDirect via Elsevier.].
- Sykes, E. R. (2021). A Deep Learning Computer Vision iPad Application for Sales Rep Optimization in the Field, The Visual Computer, Springer Nature.
- Tanbeer, S. and Sykes, E. R. (2021). MyHealthPortal – A Web-based e-Healthcare Web Portal for Out-of-Hospital Patient Care, Digital Health, Sage Publishing. Vol. 7, doi:10.1177/2055207621989194
- Niu, Y. D., Liu, H., Du, H., Meng, R., Sayed Mahmoud, E., Wang, G., McAllister, T. A., Stanford K. (2021). Efficacy of Individual Bacteriophages Does Not Predict Efficacy of Bacteriophage Cocktails for Control of Escherichia coli O157. Frontiers in Microbiology, 12(140). doi:10.3389/fmicb.2021.616712
- Sykes, E. R. (2020). A Context-aware System using Mobile Applications and Beacons for on-premise Security Environments Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, Springer Publishing.
- Ross, M., Mahmoud, E. S., and Abdel-Aal, E. M. (2018). Exploring Identifiers of Research Articles Related to Food and Disease using Artificial Intelligence, International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications (IJACSA), 9(11).
- Sykes, E. R. (2018). Reasoning about Ideal Interruptible Moments: A Soft Computing implementation of an Interruption Classifier in Free-Form Task Environments, International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, Elsevier Publishing, Vol. 120, pp 66-93
- Mahmoud, E. S. (2017). An engagement strategy for teaching computing concepts. International Journal of Digital Society, 8(2), pp. 1288-1295.
- Sykes, E. R., Muthukrishnan, D., Al-Yousifi, Y., Spriet, D., Pietroszek, K. (2016). Mobile Devices at the Cinema Theatre Entertainment Computing, Elsevier Publishing, 15(1), pp 21-39.
- Jiang, R. Y., & Sykes, E. R. (2015). A 3D Computer Assisted Treatment Planning System for Breast Cancer Brachytherapy Treatment International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, 10(4), 373-381.
- Sykes, E. R. (2014). New Methods of Mobile Computing: From Smartphones to Smart Education TechTrends 58(3), pp. 26-37.
Conference papers (peer-reviewed)
- Tarek El Salti, Edward R. Sykes, Joseph Chun-Chung Cheung, Kishan Dalal, Ayman Tauhid, and Xiaoya Zou. New Machine Learning Hybrid Models to Lower Position Errors for Bluetooth-Based Indoor Localizations. Int’l ACM Conference on Modeling Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems (MSWiM ’23), October 30 – November 3, 2023, Montreal, Canada [Paper Accepted]
- Sykes, E. R. (2023). An Analysis of Current Fall Detection Systems and the Role of Smart Devices and Machine Learning in Future Systems. In: Arai, K. (eds) Advances in Information and Communication. FICC 2023. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems, vol 652. Springer, Cham.
- El Salti, T., Sykes, E. R., Nievas, J., & Tong, C. (2022). A New Low-Cost and Accurate Diagnostic mHealth System for Patients with COVID-19 Pneumonia. Paper presented at the 2022 IEEE International Conference on Digital Health (ICDH), pp. 123-128, Barcelona, Spain. doi: 10.1109/ICDH55609.2022.00027.
- Sykes, E. R., Jain, R., Canales, A., Wang, W.B., Weldon, J., Shanker, R., Voytenko, V., Sullivan, J., & Sauer, D. (2021). Towards Better Insights: Preliminary Results of a Machine Learning Model for Fracture Risk Assessment, e-poster presented at the 9th Fragility Fracture Network (FFN) Global Congress, Sept 28-30, 2021.
- Mustafa, A., Sykes, E. R. (2021). A high fidelity indoor navigation system for users in motion using BLE with beacons, 2021 International Conference on Indoor Positioning and Indoor Navigation, Lloret de Mar, Spain, Nov 29 – Dec 2, 2021, IEEE [Full paper available soon on IEEE Xplore].
- Sykes, E. R., Tofighi, G., Wang, Yuan, Ganguly, D., Janwaar, A., and Singh A. (2021). On the design of Therapy Tracker: A cross-platform medication management application with augmented reality and machine learning, FTC 2021 - Future Technologies Conference 2021, 28-29 October 2021, Vancouver, BC, Canada Springer Nature [Full paper available soon on Springer Link].
- Sykes, E. R., Mustafa, A. (2021). Enhancing micro-location accuracy for asset tracking: An evaluation of 2 fingerprinting approaches using 3 machine learning algorithms, FTC 2021 - Future Technologies Conference 2021, 28-29 October 2021, Vancouver, BC, Canada Springer Nature [Full paper available soon on Springer Link].
- Nelson Shaw, Tarek El Salti, Joseph Chun-Chung Cheung and Ed Sykes (2021), A New Set of Wi-Fi Dynamic Line-Based Localization Algorithms for Indoor Environments, The 18th International Conference on Mobile Systems and Pervasive Computing (MobiSPC), August 9-12, 2021, Leuven, Belgium.
- El Sayed Mahmoud, Edward R. Sykes, Blake Erum, Sandy Schwenger, Jimmy Poulin, Mark Cheers (2020). Towards Better Remote Healthcare Experiences: An mHealth Video Conferencing System for Improving Healthcare Outcomes, FTC 2020 - Future Technologies Conference 2020, Springer Nature. Towards Better Remote Healthcare Experiences: An mHealth Video Conferencing System for Improving Healthcare Outcomes
- Tarek El Salti, Edward R. Sykes, Warren Zajac, Saad Abdullah, and Shariq Khoja, (2019). NewPneu: A Novel Cost Effective mHealth System for Diagnosing Childhood Pneumonia in Low-Resource Settings, 10th IEEE Annual Information Technology, Electronics and Mobile Communication Conference (IEMCON), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, October 2019 https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8936160
- Tarek El Salti, Mark Orlando, Simon Hood, Gerhard Knelsen, Melanie Iarocci, Zachary Lazzara, Yongmei Xie, Joseph Chun-Chung Cheung, and Isaac Woungang (2018). A New Set of Bluetooth Based Fingerprinting Algorithms for Indoor Location Services. Paper presented at the 9th IEEE Annual Information Technology, Electronics and Mobile Communication Conference (IEMCON 2018), British Columbia, Canada. [Best Paper Award] https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8614852
- Eram, B., Patel, J., Satvedi, A., Sneyd, R., Mahmoud, E. S. (2018). Video-call Platforms for Online Healthcare, Proceedings of 121st ISERD International Conference, Toronto, Canada, pp. 26-34.
- Akulick, S., Mahmoud, E. S., (2017). Intent Detection through Text Mining and Analysis, Future Technologies Conference (FTC), Vancouver, Canada.
- Mahmoud, E. S., (2017). Learning Catalyst: A Play-based Strategy for Teaching Applied Computing Concepts, The Canada International Conference on Education (CICE),Toronto, Canada.
- Dancey, E., Mahmoud, E. S., (2016). Practice and Refactoring Log: A Reflection Based Learning Strategy to Improve The Fluency of Computing Students in Writing Computer Programs, EduTeach.
- Sykes, E. R., Pentland, S., Nardi, S. (2015). Context-Aware Mobile Apps using iBeacons: Towards Smarter Interactions CASCON 2015, Markham, Canada. pp. 129-138, ACM.
- Edward Sykes, Ravi Jain, Neil Sano, Ha Neul Moon, Jennifer Weldon, Rohit Shanker, Volodymyr Voytenko, Jansen Sullivan, Doug Sauer (2022). Evaluating Machine Learning techniques used to predict Bone Mineral Density T-scores from patient-reported Clinical Risk Factors. Poster presented at the Fragility Fracture Network (FFN) Global Congress, Oct 20-22, 2022, Melbourne Conference and Exhibition Centre, Australia.
- Edward Sykes, Ravi Jain, Neil Sano, Ha Neul Moon, Jennifer Weldon, Rohit Shanker, Volodymyr Voytenko, Jansen Sullivan, Doug Sauer (2022). Assessment of Machine Learning Classifiers for Fracture Risk Prediction compared to FRAX without T-score. Poster presented at the Fragility Fracture Network (FFN) Global Congress, Oct 20-22, 2022, Melbourne Conference and Exhibition Centre, Australia.
- 2019 Global Digital Health Forum, (Dec 9-11, 2019). Rockville, Maryland, USA. Presentation of our CMI-Tech4Life innovative pneumonia detection device for low-resource settings. The system was created in partnership with Tech4Life (industry partner) which includes several biometric sensors and an Android app for detecting, assessment and monitoring pneumonia in children.
- Yukon Medical Association Annual General Meeting and Virtual Care Summit, (Nov 2-3, 2019), Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. Our latest research work in Augmented Reality as part of the ‘Clinic of the Future’ Cloud DX project.
- IEEE Annual Information Technology, Electronics and Mobile Communication Conference (IEMCON), (October 17-19, 2019) Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Dr. Tarek El Salti and his research student presented their innovative pneumonia detection device for low-resource settings. The system was created in partnership with Tech4Life (industry partner) which includes several sensors and an Android app for detecting, assessment and monitoring pneumonia in children.
- CMI Showcase Event (June 26, 2019), Centre for Mobile Innovation, Sheridan College, Oakville. Approximately 80 participants from local industry, faculty and students participated in this event which showcased the variety of research being conducted in the CMI
- Burlington Economic Development AGM and Annual Open House (May 29, 2019), TechPlace, Burlington, Ontario.
The Centre for Mobile Innovation (CMI) presented recent work involving Augmented Reality using the MS HoloLens, facial recognition using Machine Learning (This work is a collaborative research involving the CMI + CloudDX (industry partner).
- OCE Discovery (May 13-14, 2019), Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Toronto. The Centre for Mobile Innovation (CMI) presented recent work involving Augmented Reality using the MS HoloLens, facial recognition using Machine Learning (This work is a collaborative research involving the CMI + CloudDX (industry partner).
- Oakville Chamber of Commerce 2019 Leaders Reception (April 24, 2019). Four research projects from the Centre for Mobile Innovation (CMI) were presented: 1). Customized Videoconferencing System for Healthcare Professionals (doctors with their patients), 2) IRIS FaceMatch (identifies a person identity based on face photos), 3) Fall Detection using Computer Vision, AI and Human Pose Analysis, and 4) Responsive Mobile Client Portal App.
- SingularityU Canada Summit (April 23 – April 24, 2019), Edmonton, Alberta.Prof. David Horachek (Principle Investigator), and Mark Beauchamp (research student) from Sheridan’s Centre for Mobile Innovation (CMI) + CloudDX showcased their latest work of their “Clinic of the Future” system with AR using the MS Hololens; SingularityU video clip
- TEDMED (November 14-16, 2018), Palm Springs, California, USA. The Sheridan team, in collaboration with CloudDX, presented their latest research involving the Microsoft Hololens at this internationally recognized conference of leading physicians and healthcare practitioners.
- Halton Healthcare Innovation Expo (October 23, 2018), Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital, Oakville, Ontario.Dr. Sykes and research student, Anh Nguyen, presented recent work from the Sheridan Centre for Mobile Innovation
- Brampton Tech Fair (October 20, 2018), Brampton Library — Chinguacousy Branch, 150 Central Park Dr, Brampton.CMI Principal Investigator, Dr. El Sayed Mahmoud and research students presented their recent work in computer vision and a specialized videoconferencing system for healthcare.
- Canadian Medical Association — Health Summit, Inspiring a Future of Better Health (August 20-21, 2018), Winnipeg, Canada. Prof. Magdin Stoica, Principal Investigator, and his research student, Anh Nguyen in collaboration with CloudDX presented their latest research work on the “Clinic of the Future” system and AR solution using MS Hololens. Click here to find out more
- Polytechnics Canada (May 15, 2018), Sheridan College, Oakville, Ontario. Dr. El Sayed Mahmoud, Principal Investigator: medical-grade videoconferencing system in collaboration with m-Health Solutions (industry partner) to support effective doctor-patient videoconferencing. Prof. Magdin Stoica, Principal Investigator, and Dr. Sykes in collaboration with CloudDX: the “Clinic of the Future” system and AR solution using MS Hololens.
- OCE Discovery (April 30 – May 1, 2018), Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Toronto.Five (5) Centre for Mobile Innovation research projects highlighted; four (4) mHealth research projects and one computer vision project involving iPads and Augmented Reality:
CMI + CloudDX
CMI + Tech4Life
CMI + MyPersonalGuardian
CMI + m-Health Solutions
CMI + Encore Market Engagemen
- Apps for Health (April 25 – April 26, 2018), Mohawk College, Hamilton.Dr. Sykes presented latest research in Sheridan’s Centre for Mobile Innovation and discussed trends in the area mHealth – IoT, AR/VR, Wearable Computing, and machine learning.
- Realities in Medicine (April 6 – April 8, 2018), The Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning – Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto.Prof. Magdin Stoica, Principal Investigator, and Dr. Sykes in collaboration with CloudDX presented the “Clinic of the Future” system and AR solution using MS Hololens. This showcase was made possible through the partnership with Microsoft Canada.
- Macleans @ Sheridan The Future of Innovation event (March 20, 2018), Sheridan College Dr. Sykes gave a talk about Sheridan’s Centre for Mobile Innovation, past and present research projects.
- SingularityU Canada Summit (October 11 – October 12, 2017), Greenworks, Toronto.Prof. Magdin Stoica, Dr. Sykes and several students from Sheridan’s Centre for Mobile Innovation (CMI) + CloudDX showcased their “Clinic of the Future” system with AR using the MS Hololens. Aired on the Discovery Channel – Daily Planet on Oct 12, 2017: "Hospital of the Future” VIDEO
- EduTeach (2016), Toronto, Ontario.CMI Principal Investigator, Dr. El Sayed Mahmoud presented Experience-based Analogical Model for Learning Computing Concepts: A Kinesthetic Learning Strategy to Help Tactile Learners.
The Centre for Mobile Innovation conducts ethical research involving human participants in the area of IoT, ML, wearable computing, and AR/VR. Please see protocol SREB No - 2018-12-001-035 and REB Delegated Amendment Approval.