News articles, publications and conference/event presentations
In the news
- Sheridan awarded three COVID-19 research grants - June 22, 2020
- Globe and Mail Innovation and Technology article - November 28, 2019
- Sheridan Team Designs NewPneu, a Cost-Effective System for Diagnosing Childhood Pneumonia in Low-Resource Settings - November 25, 2019
- Constructing a Clinic of the Future, — July 31, 2019, Sheridan Curiosities
- Sykes, E. R., Pham, H., Stoica, M., & Stacey, D. (2013). A Privacy-Enabled Mobile Computing Model Using Intelligent Cloud-Based Services SmartData. New York: Springer Science+Business Media.
Journal papers (peer-reviewed)
Sykes, E. R. (2020). A Context-aware System using Mobile Applications and Beacons for on-premise Security EnvironmentsJournal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, Springer Publishing.
- Ross, M., Mahmoud, E. S., and Abdel-Aal, E. M. (2018). Exploring Identifiers of Research Articles Related to Food and Disease using Artificial Intelligence, International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications (IJACSA), 9(11).
- Sykes, E. R. (2018). Reasoning about Ideal Interruptible Moments: A Soft Computing implementation of an Interruption Classifier in Free-Form Task Environments, International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, Elsevier Publishing, Vol. 120, pp 66-93
- Mahmoud, E. S. (2017). An engagement strategy for teaching computing concepts. International Journal of Digital Society, 8(2), pp. 1288-1295.
- Sykes, E. R., Muthukrishnan, D., Al-Yousifi, Y., Spriet, D., Pietroszek, K. (2016). Mobile Devices at the Cinema Theatre Entertainment Computing, Elsevier Publishing, 15(1), pp 21-39.
- Jiang, R. Y., & Sykes, E. R. (2015). A 3D Computer Assisted Treatment Planning System for Breast Cancer Brachytherapy Treatment International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, 10(4), 373-381.
- Sykes, E. R. (2014). New Methods of Mobile Computing: From Smartphones to Smart Education TechTrends 58(3), pp. 26-37.
Conference papers (peer-reviewed)
- El Sayed Mahmoud, Edward R. Sykes, Blake Erum, Sandy Schwenger, Jimmy Poulin, Mark Cheers (2020). Towards Better Remote Healthcare Experiences: An mHealth Video Conferencing System for Improving Healthcare Outcomes, FTC 2020 - Future Technologies Conference 2020, Springer Nature.
- Tarek El Salti, Edward R. Sykes, Warren Zajac, Saad Abdullah, and Shariq Khoja, (2019). NewPneu: A Novel Cost Effective mHealth System for Diagnosing Childhood Pneumonia in Low-Resource Settings, 10th IEEE Annual Information Technology, Electronics and Mobile Communication Conference (IEMCON), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, October 2019 https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8936160
- Tarek El Salti, Mark Orlando, Simon Hood, Gerhard Knelsen, Melanie Iarocci, Zachary Lazzara, Yongmei Xie, Joseph Chun-Chung Cheung, and Isaac Woungang (2018). A New Set of Bluetooth Based Fingerprinting Algorithms for Indoor Location Services. Paper presented at the 9th IEEE Annual Information Technology, Electronics and Mobile Communication Conference (IEMCON 2018), British Columbia, Canada. [Best Paper Award] https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8614852
- Eram, B., Patel, J., Satvedi, A., Sneyd, R., Mahmoud, E. S. (2018). Video-call Platforms for Online Healthcare, Proceedings of 121st ISERD International Conference, Toronto, Canada, pp. 26-34.
- Akulick, S., Mahmoud, E. S., (2017). Intent Detection through Text Mining and Analysis, Future Technologies Conference (FTC), Vancouver, Canada.
- Mahmoud, E. S., (2017). Learning Catalyst: A Play-based Strategy for Teaching Applied Computing Concepts, The Canada International Conference on Education (CICE),Toronto, Canada.
- Dancey, E., Mahmoud, E. S., (2016). Practice and Refactoring Log: A Reflection Based Learning Strategy to Improve The Fluency of Computing Students in Writing Computer Programs, EduTeach.
- Sykes, E. R., Pentland, S., Nardi, S. (2015). Context-Aware Mobile Apps using iBeacons: Towards Smarter Interactions CASCON 2015, Markham, Canada. pp. 129-138, ACM.
- 2019 Global Digital Health Forum, (Dec 9-11, 2019). Rockville, Maryland, USA. Presentation of our CMI-Tech4Life innovative pneumonia detection device for low-resource settings. The system was created in partnership with Tech4Life (industry partner) which includes several biometric sensors and an Android app for detecting, assessment and monitoring pneumonia in children.
- Yukon Medical Association Annual General Meeting and Virtual Care Summit, (Nov 2-3, 2019), Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. Our latest research work in Augmented Reality as part of the ‘Clinic of the Future’ Cloud DX project.
- IEEE Annual Information Technology, Electronics and Mobile Communication Conference (IEMCON), (October 17-19, 2019) Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Dr. Tarek El Salti and his research student presented their innovative pneumonia detection device for low-resource settings. The system was created in partnership with Tech4Life (industry partner) which includes several sensors and an Android app for detecting, assessment and monitoring pneumonia in children.
- CMI Showcase Event (June 26, 2019), Centre for Mobile Innovation, Sheridan College, Oakville. Approximately 80 participants from local industry, faculty and students participated in this event which showcased the variety of research being conducted in the CMI
- Burlington Economic Development AGM and Annual Open House (May 29, 2019), TechPlace, Burlington, Ontario.
The Centre for Mobile Innovation (CMI) presented recent work involving Augmented Reality using the MS HoloLens, facial recognition using Machine Learning (This work is a collaborative research involving the CMI + CloudDX (industry partner).
- OCE Discovery (May 13-14, 2019), Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Toronto. The Centre for Mobile Innovation (CMI) presented recent work involving Augmented Reality using the MS HoloLens, facial recognition using Machine Learning (This work is a collaborative research involving the CMI + CloudDX (industry partner).
- Oakville Chamber of Commerce 2019 Leaders Reception (April 24, 2019). Four research projects from the Centre for Mobile Innovation (CMI) were presented: 1). Customized Videoconferencing System for Healthcare Professionals (doctors with their patients), 2) IRIS FaceMatch (identifies a person identity based on face photos), 3) Fall Detection using Computer Vision, AI and Human Pose Analysis, and 4) Responsive Mobile Client Portal App.
- SingularityU Canada Summit (April 23 – April 24, 2019), Edmonton, Alberta.Prof. David Horachek (Principle Investigator), and Mark Beauchamp (research student) from Sheridan’s Centre for Mobile Innovation (CMI) + CloudDX showcased their latest work of their “Clinic of the Future” system with AR using the MS Hololens; SingularityU video clip
- TEDMED (November 14-16, 2018), Palm Springs, California, USA. The Sheridan team, in collaboration with CloudDX, presented their latest research involving the Microsoft Hololens at this internationally recognized conference of leading physicians and healthcare practitioners.
- Halton Healthcare Innovation Expo (October 23, 2018), Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital, Oakville, Ontario.Dr. Sykes and research student, Anh Nguyen, presented recent work from the Sheridan Centre for Mobile Innovation
- Brampton Tech Fair (October 20, 2018), Brampton Library — Chinguacousy Branch, 150 Central Park Dr, Brampton.CMI Principal Investigator, Dr. El Sayed Mahmoud and research students presented their recent work in computer vision and a specialized videoconferencing system for healthcare.
- Canadian Medical Association — Health Summit, Inspiring a Future of Better Health (August 20-21, 2018), Winnipeg, Canada. Prof. Magdin Stoica, Principal Investigator, and his research student, Anh Nguyen in collaboration with CloudDX presented their latest research work on the “Clinic of the Future” system and AR solution using MS Hololens. Click here to find out more
- Polytechnics Canada (May 15, 2018), Sheridan College, Oakville, Ontario. Dr. El Sayed Mahmoud, Principal Investigator: medical-grade videoconferencing system in collaboration with m-Health Solutions (industry partner) to support effective doctor-patient videoconferencing. Prof. Magdin Stoica, Principal Investigator, and Dr. Sykes in collaboration with CloudDX: the “Clinic of the Future” system and AR solution using MS Hololens.
- OCE Discovery (April 30 – May 1, 2018), Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Toronto.Five (5) Centre for Mobile Innovation research projects highlighted; four (4) mHealth research projects and one computer vision project involving iPads and Augmented Reality:
CMI + CloudDX
CMI + Tech4Life
CMI + MyPersonalGuardian
CMI + m-Health Solutions
CMI + Encore Market Engagemen
- Apps for Health (April 25 – April 26, 2018), Mohawk College, Hamilton.Dr. Sykes presented latest research in Sheridan’s Centre for Mobile Innovation and discussed trends in the area mHealth – IoT, AR/VR, Wearable Computing, and machine learning.
- Realities in Medicine (April 6 – April 8, 2018), The Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning – Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto.Prof. Magdin Stoica, Principal Investigator, and Dr. Sykes in collaboration with CloudDX presented the “Clinic of the Future” system and AR solution using MS Hololens. This showcase was made possible through the partnership with Microsoft Canada.
- Macleans @ Sheridan The Future of Innovation event (March 20, 2018), Sheridan College Dr. Sykes gave a talk about Sheridan’s Centre for Mobile Innovation, past and present research projects.
- SingularityU Canada Summit (October 11 – October 12, 2017), Greenworks, Toronto.Prof. Magdin Stoica, Dr. Sykes and several students from Sheridan’s Centre for Mobile Innovation (CMI) + CloudDX showcased their “Clinic of the Future” system with AR using the MS Hololens. Aired on the Discovery Channel – Daily Planet on Oct 12, 2017: "Hospital of the Future” VIDEO
- EduTeach (2016), Toronto, Ontario.CMI Principal Investigator, Dr. El Sayed Mahmoud presented Experience-based Analogical Model for Learning Computing Concepts: A Kinesthetic Learning Strategy to Help Tactile Learners.
The Centre for Mobile Innovation conducts ethical research involving human participants in the area of IoT, ML, wearable computing, and AR/VR. Please see protocol SREB No - 2018-12-001-035