2 yrs (4 semesters)
Hazel McCallion Campus
Fees & Financial Aid
Labs & Technology
Financial Planning Certification
Professional Sales Certificate
Earn your Masters degree
For the Winter 2021 semester, this program will be delivered entirely through remote learning. View delivery modes for all programs.
Develop your creativity while you build your career.
Benefits of our program
- Work in a professional studio environment.
- Get trained on industry-standard software.
- Have full access to finishes, paints and samples in our decorating and design resource room.
- Take periodic excursions to local design and product showrooms.
- Participate in a three-week work placement.
A full professional skill set
- Plan and decorate residential and small commercial environments, from programming to final presentation drawings.
- Draft using professional standards to visually communicate details and design concepts.
- Freehand draw, sketch and apply mixed media to presentations.
- Design and implement marketing and sales strategies.
Flexible and collaborative learning
Using your own laptop, you'll work collaboratively with faculty and classmates while enjoying 24/7 access to coursework, lecture notes, assignments, presentations and other resources. Because it mimics the structure of the workplace, this learning model gives Sheridan graduates a significant advantage in the job market.
In Sheridan's two-year Interior Decorating diploma program, your creativity will be nurtured. Our students have consistently taken honours in the Decorators & Designers Association of Canada (DDA, previously CDECA) Design Competition.
You'll enter the work force with a developed interior decorating sensibility, plus the business acumen to compete for clients and run an efficient, profitable business.
Sheridan's Interior Decorating diploma program is recognized by the Decorators & Designers Association of Canada (DDA™).
Creative, innovative learning is at the core of all Sheridan’s courses. Here are the courses you’ll take in this program.
CODE TITLE CREDITS DESN 15436 Fundamentals of Design 3 DESN 10065 Principles of Drafting 3 DESN 10016 Drawing Techniques 3 DESN 14538 Colour and Textile Applications 3 COMM 19999 Essential Communication Skills 3 Total: 15
CODE TITLE CREDITS DESN 10000 Interior Environments – Space Planning Basics 3 INFO 13450 Digital Communication: Introduction 3 DESN 12758 Finishes and Sustainable Issues 3 DESN 10123 Drafting – Residential Spaces 3 HIST 15288 History of the Decorative Arts 3 General Education Course 3 Total: 18
CODE TITLE CREDITS DESN 25738 Interior Environments – Residential Spaces 3 INFO 20016 Digital Communication: Intermediate 3 DESN 20065 Rendering and Digital Visualization 3 DESN 20025 Lighting 3 DESN 27370 Window Treatments and Soft Furnishings 3 BUSM 29402 Business for Interior Decorating 3 General Education Course (Open) 3 Total: 21
CODE TITLE CREDITS DESN 26367 Interior Environments - Commercial 3 INFO 27380 Digital Communication: Advanced 3 DESN 20001 Drawing and Communication Skills: Commercial Spaces 3 DESN 23921 Drafting and Detailing 3 DESN 29402 Kitchen and Bathroom Design 3 BUSM 29798 Professional Promotion and Sales/Placement 3 DESN 25436 Home Fashion Display and Home Staging 3 Total: 21
Courses subject to change.
Find course details:
Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent, including these required courses:
- One English, Grade 12 (ENG4C or ENG4U)
- One Grade 11 or 12 visual arts credit at the (M) or (Open) level with a minimum 65%*
- A portfolio*
*Applicants who are unable to complete a visual arts credit or who achieved less than 65% in their visual arts credit will be required to submit a portfolio. A portfolio assessment fee will be charged.
Eligible applicants are selected on the assessment of their previous academic achievement (the average of their six highest senior-level credits, including required courses), and the results of their portfolio assessment, if required.
Applicants who do not meet the admission requirements for this program will be assessed and advised individually and may be considered for other, related programs.
*Course duration for September starts is two academic years. Course duration for January starts is 16 months continuous.
English Language ProficiencyAll applicants whose first language is not English must meet Sheridan’s English proficiency requirements.
Sheridan Interior Decorating graduates may gain employment in a variety of creative and exciting positions.
Sample job titles for our graduates include:
- Decor and Finish Consultant: for builder/model homes
- Home Fashion Display/Merchandiser
- Home Stager
- Interior Decorating Consultant
- Kitchen, Bath or Spa Design Specialist
- Media Consultant: writing/styling for print, TV
- Sales Consultant: home furnishings retailer
Successful completion of the program will enable the graduate to:
- Analyze the client's needs and goals using research techniques and taking psychological, sociological and physiological needs into consideration.
- Collaborate in the preparation of a design proposal/contract to define the scope of services for the decorating project.
- Analyze existing space conditions and decorating components in order to determine what modifications are required to meet the client's needs.
- Prepare a design concept which meets all the criteria (i.e. historical context, accessibility) of a given decorating project using the creative process.
- Communicate the design concept to the client in verbal and written formats.
- Use a variety of media and rendering techniques to communicate the character of the space.
- Prepare technical documents (i.e. plans, elevations) needed for the implementation of the decorating solution.
- Collaborate with a variety of design and decoration professionals for the implementation of the decoration solution.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the final decoration solution.
- Develop strategies and plans to implement and maintain a decorating business.
Fees shown here are estimates only. Fees are in Canadian dollars and include tuition, health insurance and ancillary charges.
The fees shown here are for the 2020–2021 academic year, and are subject to change. The fees displayed are for the first two (2) academic terms of study at Sheridan unless otherwise noted; fees for subsequent terms are not reflected on this website.
Fees for this program are paid to the University of Toronto Mississauga.
Fees for this program are paid to Brock University.
Fees for Canadian students$5,311.73
Fees for International students$18,152.73
Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship
Sheridan is pleased to provide an entrance scholarship in the amount of $1,000 to select applicants in this degree program. View Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship details for eligibility criteria and more.
Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship
Sheridan is pleased to provide an entrance scholarship in the amount of $1,500 to select applicants in this degree program. View Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship details for eligibility criteria and more.
Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship
Sheridan is pleased to provide an entrance scholarship in the amount of $2,500 to select applicants in this degree program. View Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship details for eligibility criteria and more.
Ontario College Diploma
Full-time 2 years Program code: PINDE
|Jan 2021||Hazel McCallion Campus (Mississauga)||Available|
|Sep 2021||Hazel McCallion Campus (Mississauga)||Available|
|Jan 2022||Hazel McCallion Campus (Mississauga)||Available|
Explore your future campus with a 360° virtual tour
Get to know the places and spaces that are part of the Sheridan experience.
Get a feel for your future
Find your fit and choose with confidence. Choosing the right education is a big decision. At Sheridan we’re committed to providing you with the learning, support and services you need to achieve your goals and reach your full potential. Take a look around, and please connect with us if you have any questions!
Explore our campuses from the comfort of your home! Take a virtual tour through our classrooms, labs and student life spaces to get a feel for life on campus.
Join us for a webinar and get answers to those questions on your list.
This year, we're bringing our Open House to you! No need to leave your couch to explore our campuses and learn about all that Sheridan has to offer.
Have a question? Contact us.
We’re happy to help with any questions you may have. Give us a call at any of these numbers and select Option 4 after the prompt, or simply fill out the contact form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Contact Centre hours of operation:
Monday–Thursday, 8 a.m.–8 p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Saturday, 9 a.m.–1 p.m.