A hallway at Sheridan's Hazel McCallion Campus

Permits and Visas

Permits and visas

Sheridan’s Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors are here to help you with questions about studying and working in Canada, however, it is your responsibility to maintain valid immigration status and adhere to Canadian immigration regulations. Remember to check all of your immigration documents (passport, study permit, work permit, temporary resident visa, etc.) for accuracy and be sure to extend required documents before their expiry date to maintain status in Canada.


Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

A TRV is an official counterfoil document issued by a visa office that is placed in a person’s passport to show that he or she has met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Some visa-exempt foreign nationals are expected to have an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens and Canadian permanent residents, cannot apply for an eTA.

Find out if you need an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) to enter Canada.

Studying in Canada 

Study permit

  • If you intend to study in Canada for longer than 6 months, you must obtain a study permit at the post-secondary level.
  • A study permit is not required for foreign nationals in Canada on a visitor visa or work permit who wish to undertake general-interest courses of six months or less, not leading to a certificate, diploma or degree.
  • The Faculty of Continuing Education and Professional Studies' programs are part-time/non-degree and do not qualify for a study permit.
  • You may need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in addition to your study permit depending on your country of citizenship.
  • If you are a high school student with a secondary study permit transitioning to post-secondary studies, you do not need to apply for a new study permit if your current study permit is still valid. 
  • If you are currently a post-secondary student transferring to another post-secondary institution, you do not need to obtain a new study permit as long as your original post-secondary study permit is valid. Check for more information on transferring to another Designated Learning Institution

Study permit extension

  • If your study permit will expire before you complete your program studies, you must apply for a study permit extension before the expiry date.
  • If your study permit (and Temporary Resident Visa, if applicable) will expire while you are travelling outside of Canada, you must first obtain a renewed study permit before your trip followed by a renewed TRV (if applicable).
  • You should submit a study permit extension application at least 3-4 months before the current study permit expires. IRCC processing times vary.
  • A study permit will not be extended beyond your passport’s expiry date. If your passport is expiring before you complete your program studies, you must first obtain your renewed passport, then apply for your study permit extension.
  • MAINTAINED: If you apply to extend your study permit under the same conditions and before the expiry date, you can legally continue to study in Canada until a decision is made on your application, due to maintained status.

Restoring your status

  • If your study permit expires, and you did not apply to extend your study permit, you are considered out of status in Canada and may apply to restore your status within 90 days of expiry. Please visit the following IRCC website for information on restoration of temporary residency status.

Working in Canada

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

A Social Insurance Number (SIN), issued by Service Canada, is required in order to work and get paid in Canada.

For more information on how to apply and receive a Social Insurance Number please visit the Service Canada website.

On-campus employment

If you're a full-time student with a valid study permit, you may work on-campus, at the campus at which you are registered; i.e., Davis, HMC or Trafalgar.

For up-to-date information about working on-campus visit IRCC here.

Off-campus employment

If you're a full-time student (excluding ESL/exchange) with a valid study permit, you may work off campus:

  • up to 20 hours per week during academic sessions
  • full-time hours during scheduled school breaks

CAUTION: Students must stop working on the day they no longer meet the eligibility requirements above.

For up-to-date information about working off-campus visit IRCC here.

Co-op work permit

If your program includes a mandatory work-integrated learning component such as co-op, internship, placement or practicum (paid or unpaid), you will need to apply for a Co-op Work Permit. You should apply for the co-op work permit at least one semester before commencing the work-integrated learning component.

  • Sheridan will be listed as the employer
  • The co-op work permit and study permit expiry dates will typically match.
  • The co-op work permit is required regardless of what is indicated on the Study Permit.
  • NOTE: Students who hold a coop work permit from another DLI must apply for a new coop work permit. For more information visit IRCC here.

For up-to-date information about the coop work permit visit IRCC here.

Post-graduation work permit

The post-graduation work permit (PGWP) allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

A PGWP may be issued for the length of your program up to a maximum of three years. Post-graduation work permit is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The length of the post-graduation work permit will depend on the duration of the program you complete in Canada, with a minimum study program length of eight months required to be eligible.

To obtain a post-graduation work permit after completing your program, you must meet the eligibility requirements, for up-to-date information about the Post-Graduation Work Permit visit IRCC here.

Additional Immigration Support and Resources

  • For any questions on studying in Canada, visit IRCC FAQs
  • New students: for new study permit application process, status and inquiries, please contact IRCC directly here or visit cic.gc.ca
  • Current students: if you are currently studying at Sheridan our Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors are here to support you with your immigration related questions in Canada. You may access these supports and more through the Sheridan Central portal.

Graduating International Students

Please refer to the Post-Graduation Work Permit information above and visit the Sheridan Central portal to register and attend an immigration session for graduating international students.

For information on PGWP visit IRCC FAQs


Students are solely responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with all Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada regulations at all times during their studies and while in Canada, including any medical or study and work permit-related requirements.

The information on this page does not constitute any legal advice and information may change without notice. Always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) (www.cic.gc.ca) website for the most up-to-date information.

Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.