Teaching & Research Interests
Scholarship, Research & Creative Activities
Clemente Botelho is an internationally published artist and educator, cycling enthusiast and Italian Art & Culture expert. Clemente was educated in Toronto, Paris and Florence Italy where he now directs a summer study abroad program.
For over fifteen years, Clemente has contributed to the form and philosophy of international corporate, institutional, broadcast and publishing clients. His images and ideas have been awarded publication in Communication Arts, The Society of Illustrators (NYC), Applied Arts Awards, and American Illustration (electronic), and his paintings and collages are held in private collections in Italy, UK, and across North America.
In both studio and commercial practice, Clemente employs a historically affected consciousness reframing questions of authenticity and the malleable imprints between memory, reflection and experience.
Clemente’s pedagogical basis constructs an experiential learning environment formed by focused theoretical case studies and an emphasis on the discovery of conceptual approaches through the explorative ‘making’ of ideas.
- 2005 - MFA, York University, Fine Arts, Painting
- 1991 - Post Graduate Certificate, Painting and Art History Ontario College of Art, Off Campus; Florence, Italy
- 199 - AOCA, Illustration / Painting, Faculty of Communication & Design Ontario College of Art
- Visual Narrative
- Illustration; Core Concepts
- Illustration; Portfolio Project
- Italian Art & Culture (summer Study Abroad Initiative)
Professional Honours: * all international juried competitions
- 2008 - Applied Arts Awards Annual
- 2006 - Applied Arts Awards Annual
- 2005 - Applied Arts Awards Annual, Communication Arts Illustration Annual
- 2003 - Applied Arts Awards Annual, Communication Arts Illustration Annual
- 2002 - American Illustration (electronic), Society of Illustrators, NY
- 2001 - Communication Arts Illustration Annual
Scholarly and Professional Activities - Exhibitions
- 2011 - Cedere a Trionfo, group exhibition, Note dei Musei, Florence
- 2010 - Artists Who Teach, Society of Illustrators, NYC, New York
- 2009 - The New Tapestry, group exhibition, Amsterdam
- 2008 - Signs Of Spring, group exhibition, Gladstone Hotel, Toronto
- 2006 - Lifestyles, group exhibition, L’autre Gallerie, Montreal
- 2005 - Cantina of Desire, solo MFA thesis exhibition, Shift gallery, Toronto
- 2005 - Small Comets, group exhibition, 64 Steps Contemporary Art, Toronto
- 2005 - Sacred and Profane, group exhibition, Red Head Gallery, Toronto
- 2003 - Rumble, group exhibition, Goldfarb Gallery, York University,Toronto
Juries, Lectures, and Affiliations
- 2010 - Society of Illustrators / Educators Symposium member
- 2009 - Jury Member, International Student Illustration Competition, 3x3 Magazine
- 2006 - Keynote Presenter, Art As Communication, School of Corporate Media Communications, Seneca College at York University
- 2004-2009 - Professional Advisory Committee, Art Fundamentals Program Sheridan College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning
- 2003 - National Magazine Awards (Canada) Judge, Visual categories
Through on and off campus documentary exercises, I am continually exploring methods to instigate a student’s conceptual engagement in the civic ‘environment at large’, linking the notion of the ‘World’ as classroom to dictate pathways for young visual communicators in releasing an authentic voice.
Through my experiences living, teaching and creating in Italy, I am investigating the role of myth and folklore in various narrative forms to define civic and national identities.