Hazel McCallion Campus
Fees & Financial Aid
Labs & Technology
Financial Planning Certification
Professional Sales Certificate
Earn your Masters degree
For the Winter 2021 semester, this program will be delivered entirely through remote learning. View delivery modes for all programs.
Start your new adventure teaching English to second-language learners.
CELTA, TESL Canada and TESL Ontario: three certifications, one program
What’s the “Plus” in TESOL Plus? In one program, you’ll be able to earn three certifications — CELTA, TESL Canada and TESL Ontario. Employers look for these qualifications. If you want to teach ESL learners in Ontario, across Canada or abroad, these highly-respected certifications will qualify you to teach anywhere.
Teach English abroad with CELTA certification
If you want to teach English abroad, the Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) may be your ticket. CELTA is known around the world, and many employers ask for it by name. Sheridan is an official CELTA Centre, accredited by the University of Cambridge. You’ll get the practical training that meets Cambridge’s high CELTA standards—and be certified when you graduate.
Teach in Canada with TESL Canada or Ontario with TESL Ontario
TESL Ontario sets the standards for ESL teachers in the government-sponsored sector and is perfect for those who want to teach in Ontario. If you want to teach anywhere in Canada, you’ll need qualification from TESL Canada. When you successfully complete Sheridan’s program, you may apply for both your TESL Canada (Standard 2) certification and your TESL Ontario certification.
Teach English while you study
Get the practical skills to teach English to a range of ESL learners. In this program, you’ll observe experienced instructors, while learning current methodologies and developing your teaching skills and techniques in authentic ESL classrooms. You’ll also have a dedicated practicum course in both terms, where you may work with ESL students at Sheridan, newcomers to Canada through our Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) program or students off-campus.
In your first term practicum, you’ll have an instructor for a maximum of 6 students, and in your second term practicum, you’ll have a mentor to guide and support you throughout your teaching.
Build an e-portfolio and gain PBLA (Portfolio-based Language Assessment) training
Sheridan's TESOL Plus program gives you the opportunity to create an electronic portfolio containing your assignments, lesson plans and other resources. You will also receive valuable training in PBLA, key content for school board and LINC employment which can put you ahead of the game for employment in all sectors. Upon graduation, you can show your e-portfolio, complete with PBLA content training, to potential employers to highlight your skills and make yourself more marketable.
Have questions? We'd be happy to answer them! Just email us at email@example.com
Creative, innovative learning is at the core of all Sheridan’s courses. Here are the courses you’ll take in this program.
CODE TITLE CREDITS EDUC54194 Methodology in English Language Teaching 3 EDUC59686 Language Skills 3 EDUC51456 Language Systems 3 EDUC57405 The Learner and Language Acquisition 3 EDUC53426 Reflective Teaching Practice 6 Total: 18
CODE TITLE CREDITS EDUC57286 Methodology and Educational Technology in English Language Teaching 3 EDUC51609 Assessment and Professional Practice 3 EDUC53676 Integrating Language Skills and Systems 3 EDUC53243 Language Learning and Culture 3 FLPL57299 Portfolio-based Language Assessment and Practicum 6 Elective 3 Total: 21
Electives — choose one of the following:
CODE TITLE SOCS10172GD Principles of Creative Problem Solving MKTG11000D Marketing Fundamentals BUSM10000D Business Fundamentals
Courses subject to change.
Find course details:
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university. Provide Canadian equivalency report if applicable.
- English language proficiency required for those applicants whose mother tongue is not English.
Eligible applicants will be selected on the basis of:
- previous academic achievement
- English language proficiency
- pre-interview tasks
- interview performance
Domestic applicants with education outside of Canada must have their transcripts assessed for equivalency through ICAS or WES. A general (document-by-document) or a comprehensive (course-by-course) assessment is required.
Applicants who are unsuccessful at the task/interview screening stage will be advised on appropriate steps for future applications.
English Language Proficiency
Applicants whose mother tongue is not English will also have to meet language proficiency criteria through one of the following:
TOEFL iBT — Listening: 24; Reading: 24; Writing: 27; Speaking: 24 (or equivalent)
IELTS–Academic — Listening: 7; Reading: 7; Writing: 7; Speaking: 7
Sheridan's TESOL Plus program prepares you for a career teaching English to speakers of other languages in a variety of contexts.
Here are some jobs you might find:
- College ESL/EFL instructor
- Private language school instructor
- LINC instructor
- ESL administrator
- Curriculum developer
- Select effective teaching methods and materials in the system areas of grammar, pronunciation and lexis using ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) principles.
- Develop a teaching philosophy and pedagogical framework based on current and historical ESOL approaches and methods and that is adaptable to learner needs.
- Construct ESOL lessons that incorporate a variety of teaching approaches, respond to diverse learning needs and promote student engagement.
- Facilitate ESOL student learning by employing a variety of teaching methods that account for diverse learning needs, promote student engagement and model effective classroom management techniques.
- Devise appropriate teaching strategies based on identification and analysis of socio-cultural factors and diverse teaching, learning and contextual influences.
- Evaluate language proficiency and progress based on knowledge of assessment principles and testing tools.
- Deliver logically sequenced ESOL teaching of language skills and systems using communicative methodologies.
- Engage in reflective practice through self-evaluation and peer/teacher feedback in order to identify and address potential and actual areas for improvement.
- Incorporate the use of digital technologies in classroom and online environments based on current ESOL principles of learning and teaching.
- Investigate the ELT (English Language Training) employment market, professional development opportunities and research forums by means of reliable resources.
- Create documentary evidence of theoretical and practical learning, reflective practice, inquiry skills and ongoing professional development through the compilation of an e-portfolio.
Fees shown here are estimates only. Fees are in Canadian dollars and include tuition, health insurance and ancillary charges.
The fees shown here are for the 2020–2021 academic year, and are subject to change. The fees displayed are for the first two (2) academic terms of study at Sheridan unless otherwise noted; fees for subsequent terms are not reflected on this website.
Fees for this program are paid to the University of Toronto Mississauga.
Fees for this program are paid to Brock University.
Fees for Canadian students$6,776.05
Fees for International students$17,169.05
Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship
Sheridan is pleased to provide an entrance scholarship in the amount of $1,000 to select applicants in this degree program. View Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship details for eligibility criteria and more.
Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship
Sheridan is pleased to provide an entrance scholarship in the amount of $1,500 to select applicants in this degree program. View Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship details for eligibility criteria and more.
Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship
Sheridan is pleased to provide an entrance scholarship in the amount of $2,500 to select applicants in this degree program. View Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship details for eligibility criteria and more.
Ontario College Graduate Certificate
Full-time 1 year Program code: PTESL
|Sep 2021||Hazel McCallion Campus (Mississauga)||Available|
|Jan 2022||Hazel McCallion Campus (Mississauga)||Available|
|Jan 2021||Hazel McCallion Campus (Mississauga)||Waitlisted|
Learning to teach
Students enrolled in the TESOL Plus program explain how Sheridan can prepare you to teach English in Canada and abroad.
Explore your future campus with a 360° virtual tour
Get to know the places and spaces that are part of the Sheridan experience.
Get a feel for your future
Find your fit and choose with confidence. Choosing the right education is a big decision. At Sheridan we’re committed to providing you with the learning, support and services you need to achieve your goals and reach your full potential. Take a look around, and please connect with us if you have any questions!
Explore our campuses from the comfort of your home! Take a virtual tour through our classrooms, labs and student life spaces to get a feel for life on campus.
Join us for a webinar and get answers to those questions on your list.
This year, we're bringing our Open House to you! No need to leave your couch to explore our campuses and learn about all that Sheridan has to offer.
Have a question? Contact us.
We’re happy to help with any questions you may have. Give us a call at any of these numbers and select Option 4 after the prompt, or simply fill out the contact form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Contact Centre hours of operation:
Monday–Thursday, 8 a.m.–8 p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Saturday, 9 a.m.–1 p.m.