Teaching & Research Interests
Scholarship, Research & Creative Activities
A graduate of the Graphic Design program at Sheridan College, Todd Barsanti is an award-winning designer with 20 years of industry experience. Todd started out his career as a designer working with a variety of prominent design studios in the Toronto area, including Reactor Art + Design, Ove Communications, Spencer Francey Peters, and Hard Drive Design. In 1998, Todd opened his own studio, Elemeno Inc., and continues to work on contracts in this capacity to this day. An abbreviated client list for Elemeno Inc. includes Delta Airlines and Air Transat in the airline industry, Chive Inc., a vase wholesaler with global distributions, Smythe Les Vestes, an internationally recognized fashion house, and not-for-profits like Colleges Ontario and the Toronto chapter of Amnesty International, for whom Todd has been donating his design services since 2000.
From 2002 to 2012, Todd taught at Sheridan College in the York/Sheridan Bachelor of Design program on a contract basis and took on classes at York University in the same program from 2006 to 2012. He also taught at Centennial College, in their Graphic Design + Media program, in 2011.
In 2009, recognizing a lack of understanding of sustainability issues within both the graphic design industry and academia, Todd undertook a Master’s degree in Environmental Studies at York University. Graduating in 2011, he also received a diploma in Environmental & Sustainability Education. Todd’s area of concentration was entitled; Integrating Sustainability Into Design Education Trough Collaborative Learning Processes.
In July, 2013, Todd was invited to Chicago, IL for a training session with Former US Vice-President Al Gore as part of the Climate Reality Corps and is now dedicated to spreading the reality of our climate crisis through public speaking engagements.
- Graphic Design Diploma – Sheridan College, 1996
- Master of Environmental Studies Degree – York University, 2011
- Environmental and Sustainability Education Diploma – York University, 2011
- Communication Designers Association
- Climate Reality Leadership Corps
- Designers as Facilitators of Change http://www.livingprinciples.org/designers-as-facilitators-of-change/ –March, 2012
- Defining Sustainability for Designers http://www.livingprinciples.org/defining-sustainability-for-designers/ – February, 2012
- http://www.re-nourish.com/?l=articles_detail&id=113 – August, 2011
- Integrating Sustainability Into Design Education http://www.re-nourish.com/?l=articles_detail&id=118 – October, 2011
- Reflections on the Climate Reality Leadership Corps Training in Chicago http://www.boomerwarrior.org/2013/08/reflections-on-the-climate-reality-leadership-corps-training-in-chicago/ – August, 2013
- http://re-nourish.com/?l=articles_detail&id=141 – October, 2013
- Showcase of Teaching and Learning– presenter
October 24, 2013
Topic: Sustainability in Education
- response_ability: Ethics and Sustainability in Design Education – panelist
AIGA – Toledo, Ohio
May 15 – 16, 2010
Topic: New Paradigms for Design Pedagogy? Collaboration, Sustainability, Community, and the Education of the Citizen Designer.
- The Ninth Annual Graduate Conference in Education – presenter
York University – Toronto, Ontario
May 7 – 8, 2010
Topic: Open Space Technology as a model to encourage collaborative learning in the classroom.
Design & Image
Design & Colour
Integrating Sustainability into Educational Practice
Critical Thinking in Design