1 yr (3 semesters)
Trafalgar Road Campus
Fees & Financial Aid
Labs & Technology
Financial Planning Certification
Professional Sales Certificate
Earn your Masters degree
For the Winter 2021 semester, this program will be delivered through a hybrid model that combines remote and in-person learning. View delivery modes for all programs.
Meet industry demand for advanced special effects makeup artists.
Classes to prepare you for your career
You'll earn your graduate certificate through classes that involve:
- Researching styles, trends and new developments within the industry.
- Developing two-dimensional special effects concepts and work-ups of what they might look like complete.
- Using specialized products and equipment to animate, sculpt, create, cast and mold your creations.
Professors who know the business
Because classes are small, you'll receive lots of personal support from your professors who are themselves highly experienced in the field. Most are still active in special effects makeup. Through your study you'll also be introduced to the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE), the union representing the profession.
Practical, hands-on experience
During the summer following the first two semesters, you'll participate in a field placement where you can use your newly acquired special effects makeup skills in a professional setting. This invaluable work experience and exposure to professionals in the field can be a springboard for employment.
Our program is one of the few programs of its kind in North America and the only one in the Ontario college system. Coursework was developed specifically to meet the needs of employers such as museums, amusement parks, exhibitors and the entertainment industry.
Through intensive lab experiences that simulate industry settings, you'll gain solid knowledge in casting, molding, sculpting and developing prosthetics, props and animatronics.
Classes include both classroom theory and extensive hands-on lab work. Guest industry speakers regularly visit class, providing excellent networking opportunities.
The Special Effects Makeup, Prosthetics and Props program is located at the Trafalgar Road Campus in Oakville, Ontario.
Creative, innovative learning is at the core of all Sheridan’s courses. Here are the courses you’ll take in this program.
CODE TITLE CREDITS COSM 56048 Molding and Casting for the Special Effects Artist 3 COSM 55586 Makeup Application & Facial Prosthetics 3 COSM 58081 Conceptual Processes 3 COSM 50009 Advanced Special Effects Makeup: Product Knowledge and Safety Solutions 3 COSM 55436 Sculpting & Anatomy 3 Total: 15
CODE TITLE CREDITS COSM 55288 Animatronics for the Special Effects Artist 3 COSM 58634 Advanced Prosthetics 3 COSM 51975 Industry Culture: Crisis, Conformity and Change in Advanced Special Effects and Makeup 3 COSM 56859 Prop Production for the Special Effects Artist 3 APPL 58823 Digital Applications for Advanced Special Effects Makeup 3 COSM 57545 Puppetry for the Special Effects Artist 3 Total: 18
CODE TITLE CREDITS COSM 59798 Project Production 3 COSM 57198 Professional Design Solutions: Marketing, Promotion and Personal Development 3 FLPL 55436 Field Placement and Seminar 6 Total: 12
Courses subject to change.
Find course details:
- Postsecondary diploma or degree.
- Demonstrated competence through related work and/or educational experience.
Eligible applicants are selected on the basis of previous academic achievement and/or demonstrated competence through related work experience.
In some cases, applicants may be required to submit a Letter of Intent, Letter of Employment and portfolio that illustrates the applicant's suitability for a career in the field of advanced special effects makeup, prosthetics and props.
Postsecondary transcripts, indicating courses completed to date, must be submitted to ontariocolleges.ca at the time of application.
Domestic applicants with education outside of Canada must have their transcripts assessed for equivalency through ICAS or WES. A comprehensive (course-by-course) post-secondary credential assessment is required.
Applicants who do not meet the admission requirements for this program will be assessed and advised individually and may be considered for other, related programs.
English Language ProficiencyAll applicants whose first language is not English must meet Sheridan's English Proficiency Requirements.
When you complete your one-year graduate certificate program, you’ll be ready to take a position in museums, theme parks, special events marketing companies, and film and television.
Here are some jobs you might find:
- Junior Prop or FX Technician
- Special Effects Makeup Artist
- SPFX Artist/Assistant
- SPFX Technician Coordinator
- Prosthetic Technician
- Independent Entrepreneur – Freelance Artist or Technician
- Exhibit Designer
- Integrate product knowledge and skills into the development of special effects advanced makeup.
- Apply a variety of calculations and formulae with the degree of accuracy required to solve problems and make decisions, within the context of the craft.
- Conform to established industry hierarchy, established protocols, unique professional etiquette and adherence to the role boundaries of the special effects makeup artist for success in the industry.
- Modify special effects, makeup effects and image manipulation using computer technology.
- Create special effects prosthetics and puppetry that incorporate a basic understanding of mechanics and engineering.
- Conduct extensive research to inform the development of special effects advanced makeup in a variety of venues.
- Manage a successful special effects advanced makeup project from concept to completion.
- Maintain a safe, sanitary and professional environment required through adherence to industry-specific guidelines and requirements, and acquisition and application of appropriate related credentials.
- Generate viable solutions to unexpected situations and challenges unique to the field of special effects advanced makeup through creative and critical thinking and effective problem solving.
- Engage in effective self-promotion and marketing activities, using appropriate presentation and communication skills.
- Accommodate the unique and dynamic nature of the work in the field of special effects advanced makeup by refining one’s personal and professional work process and self-management skills
Fees shown here are estimates only. Fees are in Canadian dollars and include tuition, health insurance and ancillary charges.
The fees shown here are for the 2020–2021 academic year, and are subject to change. The fees displayed are for the first two (2) academic terms of study at Sheridan unless otherwise noted; fees for subsequent terms are not reflected on this website.
Fees for this program are paid to the University of Toronto Mississauga.
Fees for this program are paid to Brock University.
Fees for Canadian students$12,203.16
Notes: Fees shown are for three academic terms.
Fees for International students$24,043.16
Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship
Sheridan is pleased to provide an entrance scholarship in the amount of $1,000 to select applicants in this degree program. View Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship details for eligibility criteria and more.
Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship
Sheridan is pleased to provide an entrance scholarship in the amount of $1,500 to select applicants in this degree program. View Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship details for eligibility criteria and more.
Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship
Sheridan is pleased to provide an entrance scholarship in the amount of $2,500 to select applicants in this degree program. View Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship details for eligibility criteria and more.
Ontario College Graduate Certificate
Full-time 1 year Program code: PASEM
|Jan 2022||Trafalgar Road Campus (Oakville)||Available|
|Jan 2021||Trafalgar Road Campus (Oakville)||Closed|
Explore your future campus with a 360° virtual tour
Get to know the places and spaces that are part of the Sheridan experience.
Get a feel for your future
Find your fit and choose with confidence. Choosing the right education is a big decision. At Sheridan we’re committed to providing you with the learning, support and services you need to achieve your goals and reach your full potential. Take a look around, and please connect with us if you have any questions!
Explore our campuses from the comfort of your home! Take a virtual tour through our classrooms, labs and student life spaces to get a feel for life on campus.
Join us for a webinar and get answers to those questions on your list.
This year, we're bringing our Open House to you! No need to leave your couch to explore our campuses and learn about all that Sheridan has to offer.
Have a question? Contact us.
We’re happy to help with any questions you may have. Give us a call at any of these numbers and select Option 4 after the prompt, or simply fill out the contact form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Contact Centre hours of operation:
Monday–Thursday, 8 a.m.–8 p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Saturday, 9 a.m.–1 p.m.