Federal Budget 2011 creates new opportunities for industry to work with colleges
Sheridan today applauded Budget 2011For Immediate Release: June 7, 2011
Sheridan College today applauded the Federal Government’s Budget 2011 announcement for its recognition of the important role that colleges and polytechnics can play in advancing innovation among small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). Three key strategic announcements in the Budget are of particular import:
- Supporting 30 new Industrial Research Chairs at polytechnics and colleges with $3 million this year and $5 million annually on a permanent basis starting in 2012/13;
- Providing $80 million in new funding to the Industrial Research Assistance Program (IRAP)to help SMEs accelerate their adoption of key information and communications technologies through collaborative projects with polytechnics and colleges; and
- Allocating $12 million over five years to support joint college-university commercialization projects.
About Sheridan:Sheridan College provides students with the knowledge and skills to thrive in a rapidly changing world. We serve 16,000 full-time and 35,000 continuing education students at our campuses in Oakville and Brampton, with a new campus opening in Mississauga in September 2011. Sheridan offers an innovative learning environment celebrated for academic excellence, applied research and creativity. Program options range from one-year certificates to four-year Bachelor’s degrees, in the arts, business, community service and technology fields. We prepare students for career success; 82 percent of graduates are employed within six months of graduation and 95% of employers are satisfied with the quality of our graduates. Sheridan is a proud member of Polytechnics Canada.
- Playing with fire: Gearing up for a second season of Blown Away
- Technical Production staff, students ensuring that the shows can go on
- Sheridan and the Afro-Caribbean Business Network partner on research to support Black entrepreneurs
- Designing better experiences
- Sheridan celebrates second season of Netflix series “Blown Away”
Stories you may like
Sheridan and RBC Future Launch partner on Future Ready virtual event aimed at empowering youth
In collaboration with RBC Future Launch, Sheridan College's Pilon School of Business (PSB) is hosting a virtual event on Feb. 3 focused on essential skills for future jobs and COVID-19’s impact on education and job searching.