Apply Now for a Peer Mentor Position for the 2017-18 year
We would love to have you on our team!
If you are interested in applying for a Peer Mentor position for the 2017-18 year please:
The guiding philosophy of the Peer Mentor Program is “student helping students”. Senior students are hired to assist their fellow students with their transition to post-secondary life by ensuring success through guidance, encouragement, and knowledge of important resources and information.
Mentoring positions are available primarily within the Student Affairs department, but also in various academic programs. Please see below for mentoring positions by department.
Student Affairs Peer Teams:
• Aboriginal Initiative Office
• Accessible Learning (AL)
• Athletics and Recreation
• Career Centre
• Cooperative Education
• Counselling Services
• Heath Services
• Library Services
• International Centre
• Student Advisement Centre – First Year Connections Peers (FYC)
• Student Leadership and Engagement
Academic Peer Teams:
• Child and Youth Worker Program
• Social Service Worker Program
• Police Foundations Program
Types of Mentoring:
The work conducted by the Peer Mentors varies from department to department but general duties include:
• One on one peer mentoring
• Group mentoring
• The provisioning and sharing of necessary information and resources
• The creation and delivery of awareness/hallway campaigns
• The planning of events to inform and engage students
Each department within Student Affairs has assigned and trained Peer Mentors on their team. If you would like to meet with a Peer Mentor come in and visit us at the Get Involved Offices:
• Trafalgar: B189 (Beside Security)
• Davis: B206 (Across from the Health Centre)
• HMC: Table at the Atrium (next to the help desk)
To set up a meeting with a Peer Mentor email: email@example.com
• You must be entering your 2nd year of studies or higher at Sheridan College
• You possess and maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher
• Visit https://jobs.sheridancollege.ca/ Review the Peer Mentor Job Description and submit your resume
• Reward of assisting fellow students
• Build confidence and leadership skills through experience and reflection
• Enhance your resume and develop your employability
• Deeper connection to the campus community
• Enjoy a great job on campus that works around your schedule
"This year has been life changing, igniting all my passion and drive to do more, realising my true potential. If it wasn't for my experience being a peer mentor, I may not have realised my love to be a leader."
“It is a great feeling to know that as a Peer I may have played a part in changing someone’s life.”
“Entering College can be a very scary idea. I want to share my experiences with new students as a Peer to make the transition smoother.”
"As a Peer Mentor, the one thing I learned about myself was… there are no limits to what I am capable of"
"As a Peer Mentor, the one thing I learned about myself was…that my ideas, my talents ARE important"
"As a Peer Mentor, the one thing I learned about myself was… I can make a positive impact "
"My Mentor was absolutely amazing. I was struggling to stay on top of my course work, so I asked them for advice on how to succeed. They connected me with a tutor and because of them I was able to pass all of my classes! She was a lifesaver!"
"I was happy to know that if I had any questions I could always ask a Peer Mentor and they would help me . Sometimes just knowing there is someone on your side willing to help is a comfort."
“The Peer Mentors have been very instrumental in helping me navigate College during my first year. I completely relied on them for advice.”
AA12 Trafalgar Entrance Door Unavailable more