Animal Care & Veterinary Technician Career Expo 2022
Date: Mar. 21, 2022
Time: 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Join us for Sheridan’s Virtual Animal Care & Veterinary Technician Career Expo 2022 on Monday, March 21 from 12 to 4 pm ET!
Visit employers and community partners’ virtual booths to network, ask questions and find out about available resources and job opportunities. There will also be an Alumni panel from 1 to 2 pm ET, where Animal Care & Veterinary Technician alumni will share their career stories and advice with current students and fellow grads.
Join one session, all sessions, or take a break and come back. Join us at any time throughout the afternoon!
12:00 p.m. - 12:15 p.m. Welcome remarks | Located on the Stage
12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Animal Care & Veterinary Technician Career Expo with employers and community partners | Located in Career Expo
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Lunch Hour Alumni Panel Discussion | Located on the Stage
- The alumni panel will feature Deserrai Buunk, Animal Care '05, Zookeeper at the Toronto Zoo, Humza Mian, Veterinary Technician '11, Registered Veterinary Technician at Yorkville Animal Hospital and Melissa Shupak, Animal Care '15, Division Manager, Shelter Programs at Toronto Humane Society.
Attending employers & community partners include:
- Animals in Motion Rehabilitation Services
- Charles River Laboratories (recruiting for Assistant Technicians in Animal Care, Animal Health Technicians, Vet-Aids, Veterinarian Technicians, Necropsy Technicians)
- NVA Canada Veterinary Hospital – Ottawa Region (recruiting for Full-Time RVTs )
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society (recruiting for Animal Care Attendants)
- Park-9 Resort (recruiting for Field placement opportunities for all titles - Kennel attendants, Daycare attendants & Guest Services)
- Procyon Wildlife (recruiting for Animal Care Interns-unpaid position, Canada Summer Jobs Staff-pending approval of government grant)
- Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets
- Toronto Zoo
- VCA Canada (recruiting for Veterinarian Technicians, Canada-wide full time opportunities; Veterinary hospital Administrators, Canada-wide full time opportunities)
- VetStrategy (recruiting for RVTs, DVMs, Office Support)
- Westway Animal Clinic (recruiting for RVTs and Animal Care Attendants)
Deserrai Buunk, Animal Care '05
Zookeeper at the Toronto Zoo
Hello, my name is Deserrai and I'm a proud Sheridan Animal Care Alumni who leveraged my school Co-Op at the Toronto Zoo into my dream job as a zookeeper! My current title is Keeper Grade 3, having worked a few jobs and moved around to various areas at the zoo with my longest position being held where I am now in the Africa Savanna. Penguins, Rhinos and Lions oh my! My career highlights have been being part of the team's starting successful Species Survival Plan (SSP) Breeding Programs of African Penguins, Southern Ground Hornbills and White Rhinos with a few hand-rearing baby opportunities that will stay with me forever! My passion for rhinos and their conservation has helped me inspire our zookeeper chapter of the American Association of Zookeepers (AAZK) to raise over $100,000 for rhino conservation, which led me back to being a student for fundraising management!
I was inspired at an early age to study animals from my personal visits to zoos. One of my most memorable was when I saw the cheetah keeper at the Toronto Zoo give her keeper talk with a cheetah sitting right next to her! I wanted to be her!
Humza Mian, Veterinary Technician ‘11
Registered Veterinary Technician at Yorkville Animal Hospital
Humza is a Registered Veterinary Technician who currently works in Toronto's downtown core. He graduated with honors from Sheridan College's inaugural year of the Veterinary Technician program, and is also a graduate of Sheridan's Animal Care program. Over the last decade in the animal health field, Humza has gained proficient experience in small animal medicine and husbandry. He has also had the opportunity to work in several major sectors of the field; Exotics (Toronto Zoo), pocket pets (exotics animals practice), lab animals (including non-human primates; university setting). In 2020, Humza was awarded the Outstanding Contributions Award by the Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians. Humza has recently taken an interest in canine and feline dentistry, and small wildlife rehabilitation. Passion for animals aside, Humza is also an artistic force to be reckoned with on social media as drag artist 'Mango Lassi'. He has amassed a large following over the last five years and has focused his work on issues regarding race, sexuality, and advocacy for QTBIPOC folks. His most recent work can be seen on Instagram: @_humzer.
Melissa Shupak, Animal Care ‘15
Division Manager, Shelter Programs at Toronto Humane Society
Melissa made a post-secondary pathway change from social work to the animal industry in 2014. After graduating with high honours from the Animal Care program through Sheridan College, she spent some time in different field areas, such as wildlife, clinical, and sheltering. Through this she found her passion lied with sheltering and animal welfare. Melissa joined Toronto Humane Society as an Animal Care Worker in 2015 and discovered a passion for behaviour and training. Melissa is a Certified Animal Trainer through Certification Council of Professional Dog Trainers, a Shelter Behaviour Affiliate through the International Association of Animal Behaviour Consultants (IAABC), an Animal Trainer Professional and a Fear Free Shelter graduate through Fear Free Pets. She was able to move into the Training Department as a Trainer and then became Assistant Manager, Training. Now overseeing the Shelter Programs Division, Melissa works alongside the teams of Shelter Care, Shelter Veterinary Care, Shelter Training and Admissions and Rehoming to improve the lives of animals.