Health, Safety and Reporting Protocols
As part of our shared responsibility in making a return to campus safe and successful for everyone, health and safety measures have been implemented by Sheridan to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
Your health and safety is our top priority, and we’re ready to protect you during any in-person activity your program may require. That includes even more intensive cleaning protocols, encourage masking indoors, and a mechanism to report and track health status.
COVID-19 Health and Safety Information
Please note the following important health and safety information, if you feel unwell:
- Self-isolate immediately. Self-isolation means staying home and limiting contact with others as much as possible.
- Wear a medical grade mask at all times while on campus.
- If you feel unwell with symptoms of COVID-19, please do NOT come to campus or if you become unwell while on campus, leave immediately. Your next steps are:
- Get tested for COVID-19. While waiting for the results, please do NOT come to campus
- If you have been on campus in the past 48 hours you must complete the Student Self-Report Form or Employee Self-Report Form and follow the instructions provided.
- Utilize the self-assessment tool developed by the Government of Ontario
- Contact your health care practitioner if you are concerned
- Notify any close contacts. A close contact means you were in close proximity (less than 2 metres) for at least 15 minutes or for multiple short periods of time without masking or the use of personal protective equipment. (e.g., eating or studying together without a mask on).
- Where possible, remember to keep your distance from others (2 metres or 6 feet).
- Wash your hands often, especially before touching your face, eating, and after using the washroom.
- The Province of Ontario has changed their testing guidance. To see if you are eligible visit COVID-19.ontario.ca/exposed
- If you are able to get a test, please report your results using the Student Self-Report Form or Employee Self-Report Form and follow the instructions provided.
- If you are unable to get a test, please self-isolate if you are unwell. Follow the results provided to you in the Student Self-Report Form or Employee Self-Report Form based on your situation.
Reporting symptoms or a diagnosis to Sheridan
Sheridan is encouraging everyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 or who has symptoms consistent with COVID-19 to contact us. By reporting your diagnosis and symptoms, you are supporting the health, safety and wellness of the Sheridan community. Your reporting can also help Sheridan with communication with the local public health units.
- Students: Please complete the Student Self-Report Form under any of the following circumstances:
- You have COVID-19 symptoms (even if you do not know if you have COVID-19) and you were on Sheridan campus in the last 48 hours before COVID-19 symptoms began or during the self-isolation period after developing symptoms.
- You have tested positive for COVID-19 and have been on campus 48 hours prior to testing positive for COVID-19 or
- If you are unable to complete any course work due to an illness, including COVID-19, please contact your faculty member directly. This form is NOT shared with your faculty member
- Employees, Contractors, and Visitors: You are required to report to Sheridan about your COVID-19 symptoms or diagnosis by completing the Employee – COVID Self-Report Form under the following circumstances:
- If you develop any COVID-19 symptoms while on Sheridan campus.
- If you have been in contact with a person, who exhibited COVID-19 symptoms, with less than 2m distance for longer than 15 minutes without a medical-grade or N95 mask while on Sheridan campus.
- If you have been on Sheridan campus in the last 48 hours before COVID-19 symptoms began or during the self-isolation period after developing symptoms.
- If you have tested positive for COVID-19 and have been on campus 48 hours prior to your test date or during the self-isolation period after testing positive.
How do I self-disclose?
Once you've submitted the form, you will receive detailed instructions about next steps.
What will Sheridan do with the information I disclose?
Your information will help us work with our public health authorities as necessary, initiate even deeper cleaning efforts in specific locations as necessary, and identify close contacts so they can monitor for symptoms. A close contact means you were in close proximity (less than 2 metres) for at least 15 minutes or for multiple short periods of time without masking or the use of personal protective equipment. (e.g., eating or studying together without a mask on).
If someone told me they were symptomatic while on campus, or they were diagnosed with COVID-19, do I have to report it?
If a student or employee has informed you that they were symptomatic while on campus, or that they have received a confirmed diagnosis, please encourage the student to disclose by completing the Student Self-Report Form. Employees, contractors, and visitors can disclose using the Employee – COVID Self-Report Form. Please encourage the individual to report it to Sheridan so that we can support the health, safety, and wellness of the Sheridan community. Please see “How do I self-disclose” above on how the individual can report it to Sheridan.
You do not have to disclose others' medical information to Sheridan. However, if you see concerning behaviour that jeopardizes the health and wellness of our community, please report it to Sheridan Security.
Cleaning & Disinfecting Protocols
Sheridan has always complied and will continue to comply with the Ontario Public Health’s guidelines on cleaning and disinfecting public settings for COVID-19. In keeping with established guidelines, Facilities Services will clean and disinfect frequently touched areas in common spaces at least twice daily and engage in enhanced cleaning and disinfecting of all Sheridan spaces once daily.
Sheridan will provide appropriate cleaning and disinfecting tools for use while on Sheridan property. In specific labs, studios, and workshops, Sheridan community members, who use the space, equipment, tools and materials, will engage in cleaning and disinfecting such items before and after use.
For information on how to protect yourself and others from the spread of COVID-19, please visit our Health Resources page.