Health Occupation Aptitude Examination
- PPNSG - Practical Nursing
- PVETT - Veterinary Technician
In addition to completing and passing the HOAE, applicants must satisfy the admission requirements of the program to which they have applied. Please visit our Programs and Courses page for a list of programs and their admission requirements.
This computerized exam consists of five timed sections designed to assess an applicant’s skill and knowledge in areas deemed relevant to college level health services programs. The five sections are:
- Academic Aptitude – 40 minutes; 75 questions
- Spelling – 15 minutes; 45 questions
- Reading Comprehension – 35 minutes, 35 questions
- Vocational Adjustment Index – 15 minutes; 90 questions
- Information in the Natural Sciences (chemistry, biology, and physics) – 25 minutes; 60 questions
Sample Questions and Preparation Resources
For sample questions, please visit www.psbtests.com > Test Resources > Sample Questions > choose “HOAE sample questions”. In addition, various resources can be used to prepare for the exam such as a dictionary, an 8th grade arithmetic textbook, high school science textbooks, a GED study guide, a SAT study guide, and the ARCO Nursing School and Allied Health Entrance Exams study guide. There are also numerous preparation manuals available for sale online titled “Health Occupations Aptitude Examination”.
Scheduling an AppointmentTo book your HOAE, please access our online reservation system.
- Log into myStudent Centre using your Sheridan username and password.
- Go to the Admissions section and click "Event Registration".
- Click on the "Register" button beside HOAE.
- Choose a date.
- Review the information for the selected session carefully. Click the Confirm button to finalize your choice, or click the Return button to make another selection.
- A confirmation email will be sent to your Sheridan email account.
- If you have difficulty booking your assessment, please call our Contact Centre at 905-459-7533 and choose option #4.
Test fee payment
A non-refundable testing fee of $50 must be paid on the day of your exam with debit only. Sheridan College does not accept cash or credit cards.
The HOAE takes place at the Hazel McCallion Campus in Mississauga and on select Saturdays at the Davis Campus in Brampton.
What to Bring
- Photo ID
- Your OCAS application number. You can obtain this number by logging in to www.ontariocolleges.ca. Write it down and bring it with you to the exam. International applicants will not have an OCAS application number. Instead, please bring your 9-digit Sheridan identification number.
- Test fee of $50 to be paid with a Canadian debit card only. We do not accept cash or credit cards.
- Pen, pencil, eraser.
- You may bring a capped drink with you into the exam room.
- We will provide you with scrap paper.
Students With a DisabilityIf you require accommodations to complete the HOAE, arrangements can be made through Accessible Learning. Please note that Accessible Learning requires disability documentation to determine appropriate accommodations, so it's best to start the process as soon as possible.
- Trafalgar Campus, Oakville: 905-845-9430, ext. 2530
- Davis Campus, Brampton: 905-459-7533, ext. 5168
- Hazel McCallion Campus, Mississauga: 905-845-9430, ext. 5737
Step 2: After meeting with Accessible Learning, book the HOAE online (see “Scheduling an Appointment” above)
Step 3: Then, contact the Assessment Centre where you’ve booked the HOAE and inform the staff of your approved accommodations. Students who require extended time may be asked to arrive earlier than the originally scheduled time.
Applicants who have not applied to Sheridan but require the HOAE for entrance into another college may write the HOAE at Sheridan College. Please contact the campus you’d like to write at directly to make arrangements. Please note that external applicants will be charged a $50 fee. This fee is in addition to testing fees charged by the host college.
Sheridan applicants must wait one calendar year before rewriting the HOAE. If you have applied to another college that also requires the HOAE for admission, please consult with that college directly to inquire how long you must wait to rewrite the HOAE, as each college has its own policies regarding rewrites.
International applicants who have questions about the HOAE are asked to contact the Sheridan International Centre:
Applicants who live within a three hour drive of any Sheridan campus are expected to test at the college. If you live more than three hours away, your situation will be assessed on an individual basis and you may be permitted to take the HOAE at a qualified location in your area. For more information, please contact the Sheridan College Assessment Centre in Mississauga at 905-845-9430, ext. 2476.
Obtaining Your Results
The results of the HOAE will not be released to applicants until final selection has been made by the Admissions department. Students are subject to a relative ranking based on the averages of all applicants who have taken the HOAE; this, in tandem with previous academic grades, will determine each admission decision. Sheridan will send the results by request only to applicants once the program has been filled, usually by the first month of the first term. For example, a student who applied for the September intake will receive their results in September. To request a copy of your results, please email email@example.com and include your full name, 9-digit Sheridan ID number, and the program(s) you've applied to. Requested test scores will be mailed during the start of term. Applicants must ensure that their mailing information is up-to-date in their Sheridan myStudent Centre account.
Transferring Your Results
At the end of each HOAE session, your results are submitted to the Ontario College Application Service (OCAS). OCAS then sends your results to all the institutions you have applied to that require this examination.
If you have taken the HOAE before January 1, 2012 and have applied to a college other than Sheridan, please make a request to have your results sent to OCAS by calling the Sheridan College Assessment Centre in Mississauga at 905-845-9430, ext. 2476.