Ann Marie Piesz
Faculty of Applied Health & Community Studies
Teaching & Research Interests
Scholarship, Research & Creative Activities
Ann Marie Piesz has 25 + years of professional experience. Her nursing background includes: Nursing Management, Case Management, Nurse Educator, Clinical Instructor, Critical Care (pediatric and adult), Burn Trauma, Mental Health and Community Care. Her current clinical practice is related to Mental Health and the Acute Care of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Survivors. Ann Marie earned her Diploma in Nursing from St. Clair College, has a certificate in Hospital Management from the Canadian Hospital Association, and obtained her Bachelor of Science in Nursing from D’Youville College with a clinical focus on Homelessness. She is completing her Masters of Science in Nursing with a focus on Aboriginal Health. Ann Marie has been a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) since 1995 with the Network of Sexual Assault Treatment Centres. In 1989 Ann Marie was admitted into the Order of St. John (Serving Sister) for her volunteer work with St. John Ambulance. In 2007 Ann Marie and her daughter joined volunteers from the Goodness and Mercy Foundation on a Medical Mission to Nigeria. Her second Hands Across Africa Medical Mission was to Ghana volunteering in an eye clinic.
Philosophy of Teaching
- Ann Marie’s teaching philosophy and nursing philosophy are intertwined and have evolved with years of clinical practice. Her teaching approach is student centred and demonstrated by caring and respect. Individual autonomy is encouraged and supported. She believes that the nursing profession exemplifies the concept of lifelong learning. Further that a student preparing to enter the nursing profession has a responsibility to be patient centred and strive for excellence.
KEY TO MEMBERSHIPS
- College of Nurses of Ontario
- Registered Nurses Association of Ontario
- The International Association of Forensic Nurses
- Mental Health, Pharmacology and Clinical Nursing.
- Current research interests include: Aboriginal Health and Wellness, Women’s Health, and Forensic Nursing related to drug facilitated sexual assault. Specific teaching interests include: Mental Health, Pharmacology and Clinical Nursing.