Support for Employees and Visitors
If you have experienced sexual violence:
Sexual Violence Response Specialist
The Sexual Violence Response Specialist serves as a confidential resource for members of the Sheridan Community impacted by Sexual Violence, and accepts disclosures in a manner that ensures confidentiality, well-being and safety.
The Sexual Violence Response Specialist is available during business hours, from Monday to Friday.
- Phone: 905-845.9430 ext. 8430
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The SVRS may assist members of the Sheridan community by:
- Reviewing safety resources on- and off-campus and create safety plans;
- Providing detailed information about legal options and reporting to local police services;
- Reviewing on-campus investigation procedures, even when the survivors chooses not to make a report to the police;
- Providing information and/or referrals to specialized off-campus resources;
- Ensuring coordination of supports and communication among various departments as required and with the express consent of the survivor; and
- Assisting Employees with accessing on-campus resources including referrals to:
- Centre for Equity and Inclusion for formal Complaints or questions about the investigation process; and
- Campus Security for safety concerns on campus and for SafeWalk.
Assisting Students with accessing on-campus resources including referrals to:
- Counselling Services for confidential mental health and emotional support;
- Health Services for on-campus medical services;
- Accessible Learning Services for Accommodation;
- Campus Security for safety concerns on campus and for SafeWalk;
- Residence contacts; and
- SRRO for formal Complaints or questions about the investigation process.
Assisting the survivor with access to off-campuses resources including referrals to:
- Medical services for off-campus medical services;
- Local police services; and
- Counselling services off campus for confidential mental health and emotional support.
If you have become aware of sexual violence:
If you've witnessed sexual violence or become aware of Sexual Violence, we’ll help you by providing available resources and necessary support to report the incident. If you’re unsure what you’ve witnessed, please still reach out and we can provide support.
If you're a visitor to campus, please report the incident to Campus Security at 905-815-4044 or use the emergency phones located both inside and outside on each campus.
If you are a Sheridan employee, or Contractor, you have a duty to immediately report all incidents and suspected incidents of Sexual Violence to:
- Sexual Violence Response Specialist - 905-845-9430, ext. 8430 or email@example.com.
- After hours, call Security at 905-815-4044 ext. 4044).
While information provided by Complainants is treated as confidential, it may be shared as is reasonably necessary to investigate a formal complaint and/or as may be required by Sheridan policy and/or applicable law.
Confidentiality cannot be assured in the following circumstances:
- an individual is at risk of suicidal ideation and/or action;
- an individual is at risk of harming another;
- there are reasonable grounds to believe that others in the Sheridan or wider community may be at risk of harm; and/or
- disclosure of information is required by law.
In such circumstances, information would only be shared with necessary services to prevent harm.
Where Sheridan becomes aware of an allegation of Sexual Violence by a member of the Sheridan community against another member, Sheridan may also have an obligation to take steps to ensure that the matter is dealt with in order to comply with Sheridan’s legal obligation(s) and/or its policies to investigate such allegations. In such cases, certain Sheridan officials may be informed about the reported incident on a “need to know” and confidential basis, but not necessarily about the identities of the persons involved.
You may wish to access the Employee and Family Assistance Program after witnessing or becoming aware of and reporting an incident of sexual violence. These services are available 24/7/365 by calling 1-800-387-4765 or workhealthlife.com. TTY individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing may call 1-877-338-0275.