2 yrs (4 semesters)
Hazel McCallion Campus
Fees & Financial Aid
Labs & Technology
Financial Planning Certification
Professional Sales Certificate
Earn your Masters degree
Elevate your creativity and business savvy.
Master the creation of interactive retail environments
Students work in a hands-on and collaborative learning environment that reflects the rapidly-changing retail market. They learn how to engage consumers in either the physical or virtual world. Students also complete field placements at retailers and creative service providers, where they gain professional experience in the visual merchandising field and make industry connections.
Become a fashion stylist or brand expert
Gain skills in fashion and interior styling, conceptual development of interior environments, window display installation, fashion merchandising and branding support. At Sheridan, students learn the foundations of communicating brand identity and visually expressing their creative ideas. They also learn to use physical and digital tools required for a career in visual merchandising.
Get hands-on experience, work with community partners
At our dynamic design-based campus, students can access top-of-the-line facilities, including visual merchandising studio, material resource room, Material Connexions Library, wood shop and large-format printing centre. Our advanced facilities help bring student concepts to life. Our relationship with Square One Shopping Centre allows students to engage with the community in different projects.
Holt Renfrew. Le Chateau. Décor & More. Anthropologie. IKEA.
These are only a few of the exciting brands and exceptional companies that our graduates now call home. The key to joining these young professionals, or creating your own distinctive business venture, is the Sheridan Visual Merchandising Arts program and its commitment to being relevant, fresh and connected to the latest industry trends!
What makes the visual merchandising training you'll receive at Sheridan so dynamic and progressive is a curriculum specifically designed to develop and elevate your creativity and business savvy, as well as build your communication and leadership skills.
More than just a portfolio "show-and-tell," Sheridan's popular year-end show event is an exciting industry party where you'll have a chance to promote your finest merchandising work to professionals from the best brands in the business!
Begin your career with us today and let the Sheridan Visual Merchandising Arts program show you the art of designing retail environments, which will keep you ahead of the curve, and place you on the right track to working with the biggest and best brands in the industry!
Creative, innovative learning is at the core of all Sheridan’s courses. Here are the courses you’ll take in this program.
CODE TITLE CREDITS VDES 16693 Visual Literacy 3 VDES 18448 Visual Merchandising 3 VDES 14444 Fashion and Styling Techniques 3 COMM 19999 Essential Communication Skills 3 ARTS 14857 Sketching & Drawing Fundamentals 3 APPL 11662 Computer Techniques 3 Total: 18
CODE TITLE CREDITS VDES 17370 Visual Literacy: Graphic Applications 3 VDES 10065 Retail Merchandising 3 VDES 17028 Fabrication Techniques 3 INFO 19798 Computer Illustration for Visual Merchandisers 3 VDES 14998 Perspective Drawing 3 ATDN 11459 Historical Trends in Design 3 Total: 18
CODE TITLE CREDITS VDES 25142 Residential Design, Staging and Styling 3 VDES 24444 Retail Merchandising - Advanced 3 VDES 20025 Styling for Media Production 3 VDES 20589 Integrated Retail Marketing 3 FLPL 25917 Professional Practice/Field Placement 3 General Education Elective 3 Total: 18
CODE TITLE CREDITS VDES 27900 Material Exploration & Fabrication 3 VDES 10261 Special Event Planning 3 VDES 28432 Portfolio Development 3 VDES 25738 Tradeshows and Showroom Design 3 BUSM 27545 Project Management/Field Placement 3 General Education Elective 3 Total: 18
Courses subject to change.
Find course details:
Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent, including these required courses:
- One English, Grade 12 (ENG4C or ENG4U)
Eligible applicants are selected on the basis of their previous academic achievement (the average of their six highest senior-level credits, including required courses).
Applicants who do not meet the admission requirements for this program will be assessed and advised individually and may be considered for other, related programs.
English Language ProficiencyAll applicants whose first language is not English must meet Sheridan’s English proficiency requirements.
Graduates of the Sheridan Visual Merchandising Arts program consistently have a high job-placement rate. There are a number of different areas in which our graduates work.
Sample Career Areas
- Brand ambassador
- Fashion, interior or prop styling
- Freelance design
- Home staging
- In-store merchandising
- Prop production
- Retail marketing
- Special event design
The successful completion of this program will enable the graduate to:
- Present and coordinate merchandise so that related goods are shown in a unique, desirable, and saleable manner.
- Use both written and oral English that emphasizes good organization, clarity, correct grammar which is appropriate for communication purposes in the business environment.
- Understand the fundamentals of basic financial problems, and use good reason in financial decision making.
- Work with a wide variety of materials (paper, cardboard, plastic, foamcore, wood, laminate, fabric) to solve two and three dimensional design problems.
- Apply basic design principles and colour theories to the construction of promotional displays and advertising.
- Use photography to record displays and advertising, and integrate knowledge of the photographic process into advertising and display design.
- Appreciate how the history of art and design influence current display practice and contemporary images.
- Understand the basic functions of retail store operations including store location and layout, shopping centre analysis, retail market segmentation and strategies, and the merchandising mix.
- Prepare and execute displays for exhibitions and promotional events using the visual dynamics of light as a design element.
- Prepare illustrative matter and layout for posters and advertising using graphic design principles including perspective, lettering, and logo design.
- Understand basic personnel functions such as interviewing techniques, basic supervisory skills, motivation, and written and non verbal communication.
- Understand basic promotion and advertising including various media for retail advertising (newspaper, radio, direct mail) and the design, layout, and production of ads and promotional point of purchase material.
- Design and build scale models and props suitable for use in display and exhibition.
- Use basic display skills such as covering, stapling, and mounting.
Fees shown here are estimates only. Fees are in Canadian dollars and include tuition, health insurance and ancillary charges.
The fees shown here are for the 2020–2021 academic year, and are subject to change. The fees displayed are for the first two (2) academic terms of study at Sheridan unless otherwise noted; fees for subsequent terms are not reflected on this website.
Fees for this program are paid to the University of Toronto Mississauga.
Fees for this program are paid to Brock University.
Fees for Canadian students$4,957.88
Fees for International students$17,798.88
Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship
Sheridan is pleased to provide an entrance scholarship in the amount of $1,000 to select applicants in this degree program. View Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship details for eligibility criteria and more.
Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship
Sheridan is pleased to provide an entrance scholarship in the amount of $1,500 to select applicants in this degree program. View Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship details for eligibility criteria and more.
Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship
Sheridan is pleased to provide an entrance scholarship in the amount of $2,500 to select applicants in this degree program. View Sheridan Degree Entrance Scholarship details for eligibility criteria and more.
Ontario College Diploma
Full-time 2 years Program code: PVMAS
|Sep 2021||Hazel McCallion Campus (Mississauga)||Available|
Explore your future campus with a 360° virtual tour
Get to know the places and spaces that are part of the Sheridan experience.
Get a feel for your future
Find your fit and choose with confidence. Choosing the right education is a big decision. At Sheridan we’re committed to providing you with the learning, support and services you need to achieve your goals and reach your full potential. Take a look around, and please connect with us if you have any questions!
Explore our campuses from the comfort of your home! Take a virtual tour through our classrooms, labs and student life spaces to get a feel for life on campus.
Join us for a webinar and get answers to those questions on your list.
This year, we're bringing our Open House to you! No need to leave your couch to explore our campuses and learn about all that Sheridan has to offer.
Have a question? Contact us.
We’re happy to help with any questions you may have. Give us a call at any of these numbers and select Option 4 after the prompt, or simply fill out the contact form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Contact Centre hours of operation:
Monday–Thursday, 8 a.m.–8 p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Saturday, 9 a.m.–1 p.m.