Sheridan joins provincial pilot and welcomes Practical Nursing students back to campus
Sheridan welcomed forty-one Practical Nursing students back to its Davis Campus today for the start of a two-week session which will see them fulfill their lab requirements before undertaking the 450-hour work placements required to complete their program. The completion of their fourth, and final semester in April was delayed due to the pandemic.
The decision to include Practical Nursing students in the pilot was a clear choice, according to Dr. Michael O’Leary, Dean of the Faculty of Applied Health and Community Studies, and Davis Campus Principal. “The demand for health care workers is intense due to the pandemic, and these students are eager to complete their program and support their communities in a professional setting.” Participation in the pilot is not mandatory – students were given the option of enrolling now or deferring to the Fall semester.
The pilot is operating in accordance with the framework set out by the Ontario government. A complete safety protocol was implemented before students set foot on campus, including:
- All students and employees were required to produce a negative COVID test result prior to participating in the pilot
- Physical distancing measures were put in place, reinforced with campus signage and floor decals to help maintain distance
- Masks/face coverings are mandatory for all students/employees participating in the pilot
“Given their training, our students are well-informed about the importance of protective personal equipment and its role in the workplace,” says O’Leary. “They are ideal candidates for the pilot, and we anticipate a successful outcome to this venture, which will see the addition of much-needed, trained personnel to our health care industry.”
Pictured top right: Sheridan Practical Nursing students participating in a two-week, on-campus session to fulfill lab requirements before undertaking work placements required to complete their program.
- Get your shot at Sheridan: Pop-up COVID-19 vaccine clinic to open at Davis Campus in Brampton
- COVID-19 vaccine clinic pop-up at Sheridan’s Brampton campus marks halfway point
- Update on Sheridan planning for fall 2021 semester
- Sheridan to announce Fall 2021 program delivery modes by June 4
- Sheridan launches Panel of Inquiry into Music Theatre program