Office of Inclusive Communities
A message from Dr. Jane Ngobia, VP of Inclusive Communities
When I joined Sheridan in January 2019, I was hired as Senior Adviser to the President and Vice Chancellor. Following broad community consultation to develop Sheridan’s Strategic Plan, the primacy of equity, diversity and inclusion was clearly articulated, and I accepted the inaugural role as Vice-President, Inclusive Communities. In this role, I am charged with the responsibility of working horizontally and partnering with all to embed diversity, equity and inclusion in all of Sheridan’s policies, processes and practices.
I understand my role as a leader in shaping, promoting and implementing Sheridan’s strategic direction, vision and initiatives for equity, diversity and inclusivity. My mandate is to purposefully foster and reaffirm an inclusive campus that embraces the rich diversity of Sheridan’s community to foster a strong sense of connection, respect for others’ rights to belong and equal opportunity to engage, thrive and succeed for everyone.
Fostering inclusion is truly a shared responsibility. I invite you to actively embed inclusion and equity into your spheres of influence at Sheridan and beyond. This is our shared vision — together, we will create a community where everyone is bringing their full potential and experiences, knowing their unique contributions are valued. This is formative to living Sheridan’s First Principles making Diversity, Equity and Inclusion an essential component of our excellence.
Communications from the Office of Inclusive Communities
- EDI commitment report prepared for the Board of Governors (April, 2022)
- EDI commitment report prepared for the Board of Governors (February, 2022)
- EDI commitment report prepared for the Board of Governors (November, 2021)
- Sheridan responds to request from the Ontario Human Rights Commission about creating and sustaining equitable and inclusive education environments (April 29, 2021)
- Email to FAAD and statement regarding launch of a Panel of Inquiry into Music Theatre Program (April 23, 2021)
- Email regarding Honours Bachelor of Music Theatre Performance Program reform (March 22, 2021)
- Global email to staff and students: Our steadfast commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion (January 29, 2021)
- EDI commitment report prepared for the Board of Governors (December, 2020)
- EDI commitment report prepared for the Board of Governors (October, 2020)
- Global email to students outlining Sheridan’s plan to address Anti-Black racism (June 12, 2020)
- Global email to staff outlining Sheridan’s plan to address Anti-Black racism (June 11, 2020)
- Message of solidarity and support in recognition of Pride 2020 (June 3, 2020)
- Message of solidarity regarding Anti-Black racism (June 1, 2020)
- Message from Sheridan’s President and Vice Chancellor Reaffirming our Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (April 28, 2020)
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Advisory Council
The mandate of the EDI Council is to promote diversity, advance equity, and foster a culture of inclusion at Sheridan. The Council acts in an advisory capacity to the President and to the Board of Governors on all matters pertaining to equity at Sheridan. In doing so, the Council shall liaise with the broad Sheridan community to identify and develop strategies and initiatives that will sustain a welcoming and inclusive learning and working environment.
Download the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan.
2020 Employee Diversity Self-Identification Census
Sheridan conducted its first Employee Diversity Self-Identification Census from April 6 - May 11, 2020. The Census was an important first step towards achieving our goals for equity, diversity and inclusion at Sheridan, as it allowed us to capture baseline understanding on the diversity of our employees. This information will contribute to our efforts to understand and leverage the diversity, perspectives, and lived experience of employees on our campuses.
While the window to complete the Census closed has now closed, employees will continue to have access to their self-identification information on the PeopleSoft portal, and may update it at any time.
The Census Results Report is now available for download:
About EDI at Sheridan
Diversity is a Sheridan strength and leveraging it to unleash the potential of faculty, staff and students is our priority. Across our campuses, we’re making meaningful strides towards developing an equitable and inclusive community.
Under the leadership of the Vice President, Inclusive Communities, Sheridan is actively embedding values of equity, diversity and inclusion into policies, procedures and decision-making at all levels of the institution, while recognizing that this is an ongoing process fuelled by collective dedication and commitment.
Community engagement, collaborative consultation, respect for Indigenous ways of knowing and diverse perspectives, truth and reconciliation and putting people first, are considerations at the fore of Sheridan’s approach to building inclusive communities.
At Sheridan, we define:
- Equity as fair treatment and access to opportunities. Sheridan values the fair and just treatment of all community members through the creation of opportunities and the removal of barriers to address historic and current disadvantages for equity-seeking and marginalized groups.
- Diversity as all the ways in which we are different. Sheridan values and respects diversity in all its forms, including knowledge, worldviews and experiences. Diversity is born out of membership in different groups.
- Inclusion as a process of intentional efforts to understand another perspective and feel empathy. An inclusive learning and working environment is one where every individual can maximize their potential, irrespective of personal characteristics.
Sheridan is a proud participant in the Dimensions: Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Canada Program, a Tri-Agency (Canadian Institutes of Health Research [CIHR], Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council [SSHRC], Natural Sciences and Research Council of Canada [NSERC]) initiative.